This Kerala organization is helping the blind live their dreams
The Society for Rehabilitation of the Visually Challenged in Kerala is made up of a group of like-minded people who have come together to make a difference in the lives of people who are blind.
Led by Professor VJ Pappu, the organization has been providing training in many areas with the help of technology.
Through the organisation, a Vodafone telesales centre has been set up in the state last year, which is completely run by the blind.
Since 2008, the SRVC has been operating a resource centre at the Infopark premises in Kochi, where the blind are trained in computers. So far, nine batches made up of 10 students each have successfully graduated. 65% have been placed at different companies.
One of the major accomplishments of SRVC is Heart2Heart, which is an exclusive orchestra made up of a talented group of musicians from across the state.
The team has performed over 200 shows till date, out of which five shows were abroad. All the musicians practice their pieces through memory, since they can’t read the notes.
The organization has also opened up sporting avenues for the blind. There are centres for cricket, athletics and powerlifting.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility January 18, 2019 Goa Carnival 2019 promises to be wheelchair accessible
- Headlines January 15, 2019 Gujarat becomes first state to implement 10% reservation for general category
- Headlines January 17, 2019 Jadavpur University Professor sacked for sexist remarks
- Headlines January 15, 2019 PM Modi tells public to rate government
- Get-hooked January 19, 2019 Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
- Get-hooked January 15, 2019 "I asked for my khukri & cut off my leg"- My Take by Ian Cardozo, 1st war disabled Indian soldier to lead a battalion
- Get-hooked January 17, 2019 Amputee Mayur Dumasia's 5-state cycling expedition is an inspiration to all
- Headlines January 20, 2019 Kerala government claims 51 women entered Sabarimala since last September
- Headlines January 21, 2019 PM launches National Museum of Indian Cinema
- Headlines January 18, 2019 Navy divers find second body in Meghalaya mine
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked January 19, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News