This Kerala organization is helping the blind live their dreams
October 4, 2017
The Society for Rehabilitation of the Visually Challenged in Kerala is made up of a group of like-minded people who have come together to make a difference in the lives of people who are blind.
Led by Professor VJ Pappu, the organization has been providing training in many areas with the help of technology.
Through the organisation, a Vodafone telesales centre has been set up in the state last year, which is completely run by the blind.
Since 2008, the SRVC has been operating a resource centre at the Infopark premises in Kochi, where the blind are trained in computers. So far, nine batches made up of 10 students each have successfully graduated. 65% have been placed at different companies.
One of the major accomplishments of SRVC is Heart2Heart, which is an exclusive orchestra made up of a talented group of musicians from across the state.
The team has performed over 200 shows till date, out of which five shows were abroad. All the musicians practice their pieces through memory, since they can't read the notes.
The organization has also opened up sporting avenues for the blind. There are centres for cricket, athletics and powerlifting.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility May 23, 2019 Curated tours, sign language interpreters planned in Kerala as part of Barrier Free Tourism project
- Accessibility May 22, 2019 Madras High Court bench slams Medical Council of India guidelines as biased against disabled medical aspirants
- Headlines May 25, 2019 18 children killed in fire at Surat building
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Athlete Dutee Chand faces family expulsion for saying she is gay
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 Stay cool this summer, some tips for wheelchair users
- Headlines May 25, 2019 Video of candidate crying over 5 votes goes viral
- Headlines May 23, 2019 India launches new spy satellite
- Get-hooked May 22, 2019 Experts claim music therapy helps enhance critical skills in children with autism
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 From working for underprivileged kids to disability rights advocacy, Diksha wears many hats
- Accessibility May 22, 2019 Meet the young adults with autism to get their fingers inked for the first time
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News