This Kerala organization is helping the blind live their dreams
October 4, 2017
The Society for Rehabilitation of the Visually Challenged in Kerala is made up of a group of like-minded people who have come together to make a difference in the lives of people who are blind.
Led by Professor VJ Pappu, the organization has been providing training in many areas with the help of technology.
Through the organisation, a Vodafone telesales centre has been set up in the state last year, which is completely run by the blind.
Since 2008, the SRVC has been operating a resource centre at the Infopark premises in Kochi, where the blind are trained in computers. So far, nine batches made up of 10 students each have successfully graduated. 65% have been placed at different companies.
One of the major accomplishments of SRVC is Heart2Heart, which is an exclusive orchestra made up of a talented group of musicians from across the state.
The team has performed over 200 shows till date, out of which five shows were abroad. All the musicians practice their pieces through memory, since they can't read the notes.
The organization has also opened up sporting avenues for the blind. There are centres for cricket, athletics and powerlifting.
Watch in Sign Language
- Kerala youth gets electric wheelchair from donor, but stuck indoors due to poor road conditions
August 22, 2019
- 14 year old Joel Biju has overcome a disability to finish over 1000 paintings in one year
August 21, 2019
- Ministry advisory on accessible public transport raises more questions
August 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility August 16, 2019 Independence Day honours for Infinity Park, Chennai's largest inclusive park for kids
- Technology August 20, 2019 New robots to assist sportspersons at 2020 Tokyo Paralympics
- Get-Hooked August 19, 2019 Hydrotherapist Amal Upadhyay is convinced about the healing powers of swimming
- Events August 21, 2019 Vadhu Var Melawa
- Headlines August 17, 2019 UN Security Council holds meeting about Kashmir
- Headlines August 17, 2019 No Indian soldiers killed by Pakistan, says Indian Army
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Trending stories on Newz Hook Aug 9 – Aug 16
- Get-Hooked August 19, 2019 "Love can be limitless if people recognise, accept and celebrate a person with a difference" - Jasmina Khanna
- Accessibility August 20, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Sabke Liye initiative wins Future Retail Limited national disability award
- Headlines August 21, 2019 Kamal Nath’s nephew arrested for fraud
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News