This Kerala organization is helping the blind live their dreams
The Society for Rehabilitation of the Visually Challenged in Kerala is made up of a group of like-minded people who have come together to make a difference in the lives of people who are blind.
Led by Professor VJ Pappu, the organization has been providing training in many areas with the help of technology.
Through the organisation, a Vodafone telesales centre has been set up in the state last year, which is completely run by the blind.
Since 2008, the SRVC has been operating a resource centre at the Infopark premises in Kochi, where the blind are trained in computers. So far, nine batches made up of 10 students each have successfully graduated. 65% have been placed at different companies.
One of the major accomplishments of SRVC is Heart2Heart, which is an exclusive orchestra made up of a talented group of musicians from across the state.
The team has performed over 200 shows till date, out of which five shows were abroad. All the musicians practice their pieces through memory, since they can’t read the notes.
The organization has also opened up sporting avenues for the blind. There are centres for cricket, athletics and powerlifting.
Watch in Sign Language
- 5 things you must know about wheelchair users
November 18, 2018
- Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
November 17, 2018
- What made Stan Lee's superheroes so magical for children with autism
November 17, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines November 17, 2018 Priyanka to get married in Jodhpur, preparations are on
- Get-hooked November 17, 2018 Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
- Get-hooked November 11, 2018 Stephen Hawking's wheelchair & thesis fetch over $1 million at auction
- Accessibility November 12, 2018 I want to make a mobile app accessible to visually impaired! Really? - Guest column by Shilpi Kapoor, Founder, Barrier Break
- Headlines November 16, 2018 Deepika & Ranveer’s wedding pictures released
- Get-hooked November 13, 2018 "It was like the whole universe came together" - My Take by Ruma Roka, founder, Noida Deaf Society
- Accessibility November 15, 2018 Lack of clarity on revised admission norms leaves disabled students & parents groping in the dark
- Headlines November 13, 2018 Rohit Sharma in list of batsmen with over 200 boundaries in T20Is
- Headlines November 17, 2018 Protestors block activist Trupti Desai who was headed to Sabarimala
- Get-hooked November 13, 2018 Some shopping tips for blind people
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News