This Kerala organization is helping the blind live their dreams
October 4, 2017
The Society for Rehabilitation of the Visually Challenged in Kerala is made up of a group of like-minded people who have come together to make a difference in the lives of people who are blind.
Led by Professor VJ Pappu, the organization has been providing training in many areas with the help of technology.
Through the organisation, a Vodafone telesales centre has been set up in the state last year, which is completely run by the blind.
Since 2008, the SRVC has been operating a resource centre at the Infopark premises in Kochi, where the blind are trained in computers. So far, nine batches made up of 10 students each have successfully graduated. 65% have been placed at different companies.
One of the major accomplishments of SRVC is Heart2Heart, which is an exclusive orchestra made up of a talented group of musicians from across the state.
The team has performed over 200 shows till date, out of which five shows were abroad. All the musicians practice their pieces through memory, since they can't read the notes.
The organization has also opened up sporting avenues for the blind. There are centres for cricket, athletics and powerlifting.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines March 19, 2019 Anil Ambani pays dues, avoids jail term
- Accessibility March 25, 2019 PGIMER Chandigarh agrees to implement RPWD Act in 2019 prospectus for postgraduate medical students
- Get-hooked March 22, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Headlines March 24, 2019 Jet Airways suspends flights to 13 international routes
- Headlines March 25, 2019 Death toll from Cyclone Idai in South Africa rises
- Headlines March 22, 2019 Pakistan will not broadcast IPL 2019 matches
- Events March 20, 2019 Parent Interaction With Jo Chopra
- Get-hooked March 25, 2019 An inclusive blindfolded walkathon at Delhi University aims to build inclusion
- Events March 20, 2019 Run 4 Autism Marathon- More details to come
- Events March 20, 2019 1st ODI National Zone Cricket Championship for Deaf
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News