Youngsters with cerebral palsy start campaign on road safety in Kolkata
September 24, 2017
Young activists from the Indian Institute of Cerebral Palsy in Kolkata took to the streets to spread awareness about the importance of wearing helmets while riding and obeying traffic rules.
Bikers on the road were in for a surprise when instead of fining them for riding without helmets, policemen escorted them to children from the Indian Institute of Cerebral Palsy who spoke to the bikers on how risky it was to speed on the roads and ride without wearing a helmet.
In partnership with the Kolkata Police, the Indian Institute of Cerebral Palsy has started a public education campaign about the dangers of riding without wearing a helmet.
The campaign will continue till December with young activists travelling to several parts of the city carrying the message.
Students from various age groups, many of them on wheelchairs, stopped taxis and speeding bikers and spoke to them about the dangers of riding fast and riding without wearing a helmet.
They reminded them that they had family members back home towards whom they have a sense of responsibility.
World Cerebral Palsy Day is celebrated in October, and will see activists spreading out across several parts of the city to spread the awareness.
The next such campaign is on 14 October at Kidderpore.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 How to help a person with autism feel calm
- Events April 16, 2019 Learning Through Play Workshop
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 #GetMoneywise - Financial planning mistakes parents with disabled children typically make
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 Tips to manage learning disabilities in adults
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Dialogue in the Dark session at Gujarat National Law University triggers important conversations
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Jet Airways suspends all operations
- Accessibility April 21, 2019 Kozhikode Collectorate introduces facilities for accessible elections
- Headlines April 16, 2019 Yogi, Mayawati banned by ECI
- Headlines April 15, 2019 IPL 2019 RCB wins 1st match
- Accessibility April 20, 2019 In a first, residents of a mental health centre in Chennai cast their votes. Here's how it happened
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News