From mom of deaf child to teaching deaf students - The story of Gayathri Raveesh
November 3, 2017
Gayathri Raveesh's life changed when a steel plate slipped from her hand 30 years ago and her only son, who was 11 months old, did not react.
She later found out that her son Avinash was deaf.
Five years later she did her diploma in education (DEd) in hearing impairment and her son became her first student.
But he would not be her last.
In 1997, she started the Helen Keller Integrated Educational Society, a school for both parents and children with hearing disability. She went on to complete higher degrees, specialising as a teacher in hearing impairment.
Her school mostly focuses on kids from remote backgrounds. The school also guides children to proper schools, after their basic training.
Gayathri has tutored more than a 100 children and parents. She runs the school with the funds collected from parents.
Her son Avinash completed a diploma in computer science and is today a computer technician and happily married.
Gayathri says that children tend to see the world as shown by their parents, so it is the duty of parents to tell them that they are not disabled but efficiently-abled.
Gayathri is now the president of the Karnataka Deaf Children and Parents Federation and an advisor to the Tumkur Deaf Association.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events August 14, 2019 Adolescent Training and Sex Education Workshop
- Get-Hooked August 18, 2019 Tips to lead a healthy lifestyle when you are an amputee
- Headlines August 16, 2019 Virat Kohli sets new record
- Accessibility August 20, 2019 Ministry advisory on accessible public transport raises more questions
- Technology August 15, 2019 'Smart Car Seat for Differently-Abled' gets a thumbs up for innovation & creativity
- Headlines August 15, 2019 Chandrayaan 2 heading towards the Moon
- Get-Hooked August 13, 2019 Enjoy this Independence Day with an inclusive trek at Raigad, Maharashtra
- Get-Hooked August 20, 2019 Inclusive Spotfix initiative to beauty Bangalore roads
- Headlines August 15, 2019 Abhinandan Varthaman to get Vir Chakra on Independence Day
- Accessibility August 20, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Sabke Liye initiative wins Future Retail Limited national disability award
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News