From mom of deaf child to teaching deaf students - The story of Gayathri Raveesh
Gayathri Raveesh's life changed when a steel plate slipped from her hand 30 years ago and her only son, who was 11 months old, did not react.
She later found out that her son Avinash was deaf.
Five years later she did her diploma in education (DEd) in hearing impairment and her son became her first student.
But he would not be her last.
In 1997, she started the Helen Keller Integrated Educational Society, a school for both parents and children with hearing disability. She went on to complete higher degrees, specialising as a teacher in hearing impairment.
Her school mostly focuses on kids from remote backgrounds. The school also guides children to proper schools, after their basic training.
Gayathri has tutored more than a 100 children and parents. She runs the school with the funds collected from parents.
Her son Avinash completed a diploma in computer science and is today a computer technician and happily married.
Gayathri says that children tend to see the world as shown by their parents, so it is the duty of parents to tell them that they are not disabled but efficiently-abled.
Gayathri is now the president of the Karnataka Deaf Children and Parents Federation and an advisor to the Tumkur Deaf Association.
Watch in Sign Language
- Expert cook & entrepreneur - Deeja juggles roles with ease
February 20, 2019
- Know how Serotonin affects your mental health
February 19, 2019
- Here is how caregivers can avoid being burned out
February 19, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Understanding Rett Syndrome
- Education February 19, 2019 The Gati initiative is enabling mainstream Mumbai schools to provide high quality, inclusive education
- Accessibility February 13, 2019 Medical Council of India lets down disabled medical aspirants yet again
- Events February 17, 2019 Meraki – Where Art Exceeds Artists
- Events February 14, 2019 Ghazal Nite
- Parasports February 15, 2019 First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
- Events February 13, 2019 Job Oriented Preparatory Workshop for persons with disabilities
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Kashmir attack - Pakistan under pressure to end support to terror groups
- Events February 14, 2019 Medical Camp - Children with Disability & Mental Health Problems
- Accessibility February 15, 2019 Review petition challenging 50% vision, hearing disability limit for judge's post to be filed next week
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019