VHAB app helps disabled kids overcome mobility challenges
An assistive technology-based application has been developed by Tata Consultancy Services to enable disabled kids overcome locomotive challenges.
Called VHAB, the application is aimed at children who have cerebral palsy and autism. It is related to improving their stability and balance.
1st such app for disabled kids, says TCS
The application combines user interface, sensors, and an analytical engine. With the help of gestures and leap motion sensors, the children’s actions can be simulated on screen.
A personalized group of exercises has been created for various kinds of movements for hands, legs, palms and multiple limbs. These exercises are fun and interactive and monitor development.
App analyses kids' progress at every stage
The device makes it possible to view the scores and progress at each level, which will encourage children to attempt the exercises repeatedly. The scores achieved by the children can be used for analyzing the level of improvement.
The technology can also be customized to suit the needs of children with various problems. TCS worked closely with the children of the Adarsh Rehabilitation Centre in Kochi, Kerala, for this social innovation.
TCS provided the Rs 70-lakh technology for free to the Kochi centre. The team is working on the second phase of the device.
In the second version, there will be more exercises for the hands and legs, as well as exercises for the improving of the movement of fingers.
Watch in Sign Language
- Leveraging artificial intelligence for accessibility solutions focus of Microsoft India's Accessibility Summit
February 17, 2019
- Tobii Dynavox eye tracker is opening new world to little Ganga & others like her
February 14, 2019
- Move to promote inclusion or mere gimmick? Disability-themed emojis for 2019 get mixed reviews
February 11, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Rajinikanth’s daughter Soundarya gets married
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Understanding Rett Syndrome
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Coming national election may be boycotted by Maharashtra's deaf community
- Events February 12, 2019 World Women's Day
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Annual Rendezvous event of Headway Foundation is an occasion to honour disabled achievers
- Parasports February 15, 2019 First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
- Accessibility February 13, 2019 Medical Council of India lets down disabled medical aspirants yet again
- Events February 12, 2019 Workshop on Advancing Your Interpreting Skills
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 The incredibly gifted Piyush Sharma defies all stereotypes regarding disability
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Kashmir Valley shuts down after terror attack
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News