Tourist spots in Kerala to become disabled friendly
Soon the disabled will enjoy barrierfree access to over 100 tourist destinations and 25 guest houses in Kerala.
The Kerala Tourism Department has allocated Rs 9.7 crore to the first phase of the Barrier Free project.
Barrier-free spaces will be created in all tourist public areas in the state.
The project will bring in structural changes and addition of facilities in the tourism infrastructure to make it inclusive. The aim is to convert all public spaces connected with tourism into disabled-friendly zones.
The Barrier Free project was first implemented in Kannur. The town has become the first district in India to become disabled-friendly.
Last year, Kerala received 10.38 lakh global tourists and 1.31 crore domestic tourists. Around 3% of the tourists who were disabled and another 10% who were elderly, faced access barriers.
Watch in Sign Language
- The wheelchair has given me wings to fly! - My Take by Dr Divya Singh
December 11, 2018
- Fact check by disability advocacy group on voting day in Rajasthan throws up gaps in accessible election promises
December 10, 2018
- Disability rights leader Satendra Singh challenges move to close probe into harassment faced during train travel
December 9, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 12, 2018 Election results from 5 states, massive disappointment for BJP
- Events December 13, 2018 DRIVE FOR AUTISM - A TSD CAR RALLY
- Get-hooked December 15, 2018 Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
- Accessibility December 11, 2018 The wheelchair has given me wings to fly! - My Take by Dr Divya Singh
- Events December 11, 2018 Annual Party Forum For Autism
- Get-hooked December 11, 2018 Samarthanam's Bengaluru Walkathon highlights inclusion in digital media
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Some useful Information about Angelman Syndrome
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 4% job reservation for disabled people announced in Goa
- Get-hooked December 11, 2018 New study highlights importance of building motor skills in kids with autism
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 Deaf candidate Sudeep Shukla impresses in polls, shows the way to disabled political aspirants
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News