Tourist spots in Kerala to become disabled friendly
Soon the disabled will enjoy barrierfree access to over 100 tourist destinations and 25 guest houses in Kerala.
The Kerala Tourism Department has allocated Rs 9.7 crore to the first phase of the Barrier Free project.
Barrier-free spaces will be created in all tourist public areas in the state.
The project will bring in structural changes and addition of facilities in the tourism infrastructure to make it inclusive. The aim is to convert all public spaces connected with tourism into disabled-friendly zones.
The Barrier Free project was first implemented in Kannur. The town has become the first district in India to become disabled-friendly.
Last year, Kerala received 10.38 lakh global tourists and 1.31 crore domestic tourists. Around 3% of the tourists who were disabled and another 10% who were elderly, faced access barriers.
Watch in Sign Language
- Accessible parking still remains distant dream for people with disabilities
February 17, 2019
- Review petition challenging 50% vision, hearing disability limit for judge's post to be filed next week
February 15, 2019
- Medical Council of India lets down disabled medical aspirants yet again
February 13, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Understanding Rett Syndrome
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Kashmir attack - Pakistan under pressure to end support to terror groups
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 The incredibly gifted Piyush Sharma defies all stereotypes regarding disability
- Headlines February 11, 2019 Robert Vadra takes to Facebook to share his story
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 #LovePossible - What happened when Satendra Singh met his Paro
- Events February 14, 2019 Ghazal Nite
- Headlines February 15, 2019 Gully Boy hits theatres
- Events February 14, 2019 Special Day Outing For Special Families
- Headlines February 14, 2019 IndiGo cancels 30 flights, more to follow
- Get-hooked February 10, 2019 Mammootty watches latest film 'Peranbu' with disabled kids at Kochi theatre
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Accessibility February 11, 2019
Accessibility February 12, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News