Tourist spots in Kerala to become disabled friendly
September 30, 2017
Soon the disabled will enjoy barrierfree access to over 100 tourist destinations and 25 guest houses in Kerala.
The Kerala Tourism Department has allocated Rs 9.7 crore to the first phase of the Barrier Free project.
Barrier-free spaces will be created in all tourist public areas in the state.
The project will bring in structural changes and addition of facilities in the tourism infrastructure to make it inclusive. The aim is to convert all public spaces connected with tourism into disabled-friendly zones.
The Barrier Free project was first implemented in Kannur. The town has become the first district in India to become disabled-friendly.
Last year, Kerala received 10.38 lakh global tourists and 1.31 crore domestic tourists. Around 3% of the tourists who were disabled and another 10% who were elderly, faced access barriers.
Watch in Sign Language
- Dehradun pool forced to grant equal access to disabled adults after official intervention
June 27, 2019
- Deaf Entertainment is bringing the magic of movies to new audiences
June 26, 2019
- Introduction of a wheelchair ramp might not be just what disability rights groups in Chennai asked for
June 26, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 These school kids show all the potential of making it big in the world of art
- Headlines June 25, 2019 RBI Deputy Governor resigns
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 Uber India apology to disability rights activist not enough, call for concrete measures
- Accessibility June 26, 2019 Social media thread highlights barriers faced by disabled candidates at exam halls across India
- Headlines June 20, 2019 Chennai hit by worst water crisis
- Get-hooked June 24, 2019 Disabled adults experience the healing touch of animals for the first time at a therapy session
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 United Kingdom government grants visa to blind Indian musicians, reverses earlier order
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Rahul Gandhi firm on quitting as Congress chief
- Education June 21, 2019 American College in Madurai introduces disability studies in syllabus
- Headlines June 23, 2019 Pakistan gets warning to curb terrorism by October
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News