Indian American boy invents affordable hearing aid
May 3, 2016
Mukund Venkatakrishnan, a 16-year-old Indian-American from Kentucky, US, has developed a low-cost hearing aid worth US$60.
Mukund came up with the idea after he found that it cost nearly US$2500 on doctors' appointments and a hearing aid for his own grandfather. He realized how difficult it must be for people in developing countries to afford such aids.
Mukund's hearing aid, which can be used with cheap headphones, is built to test hearing by playing sounds at seven different frequencies. Depending upon the nature of hearing loss, it programs itself by using volumes based on results.
The device takes away the need for several visits to the doctor and can be bought at a much lower price as the processor used for amplifying volume is one third the cost of what is available in the market.Mukund worked in the device for two years and recently won first place at the Kentucky State Science and Engineering Fair. Various foundations are reaching out to Mukund to help mass produce and distribute it.
Watch in Sign Language
- #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
April 18, 2019
- Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
April 15, 2019
- Developmental disorders can now be diagnosed from home, thanks to this app developed by AIIMS
April 11, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Google bans TikTok in India
- Events April 15, 2019 Accessible Bowling
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Inclusive Bowling event in Pune is the perfect weekend treat
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Amitabh Bachchan pays 70 crore tax
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 Tips to manage learning disabilities in adults
- Headlines April 15, 2019 Elections 2019 - Shatrughan Sinha wants to fight PM Modi
- Headlines April 19, 2019 ‘Kalank’ is highest grosser on opening day for 2019
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 #AutismPower - Mumbai's Cafe Arpan is brewing a change, along with great coffee
- Events April 18, 2019 EasterFest
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News