These eyeglasses help the deaf see sounds around them
November 9, 2017
The deaf find it hard to move around without sound cues. Sudden noises alert people to things happening in a certain direction, and react faster.
Now a set of eyeglasses can help them do that. This is thanks to a light accessory called Peri that can be clipped onto existing glasses.
They have been designed by a group of students at the Singapore University of Technology and Design. The design won them a national level award.
The accessory includes four microphones that are to be attached at the corners of the eyeglasses. They can be tuned for sensitivity to noise volume. The lights will correspond with the direction that the loudest noise comes from.
The team is building a better version that could also include light sensors. There are over 300 million people in the world suffering from disabling hearing loss. An idea like the Peri glasses could improve many lives.
Watch in Sign Language
- New web-based remote promises to change TV viewing for people with disabilities
June 24, 2019
- #TechThursdays - Flexmo, a one-of-its-kind crutch, is engineered for all terrain types
June 20, 2019
- #TechThursdays - EMx turns the spotlight on early intervention & inclusive education in the 3rd edition
June 13, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 24, 2019 Salman to earn 400 crore from Bigg Boss 13
- Technology June 24, 2019 New web-based remote promises to change TV viewing for people with disabilities
- Headlines June 24, 2019 India dismissed report on rising religious tensions
- Headlines June 22, 2019 Narendra Modi celebrates yoga day at Ranchi
- Education June 20, 2019 #ChangeMakers - An idol to many, Elizabeth Philip keeps inspiring through her relentless work
- Events June 26, 2019 Sign Language Workshop
- Events June 26, 2019 Talk Tools Workshop
- Headlines June 26, 2019 11 arrested in Jharkhand lynching case
- Headlines June 24, 2019 Afghanistan match was a lesson, says Virat
- Parasports June 26, 2019 Ireland win puts para shuttler Pramod Bhagat among contenders for Tokyo Paralympics
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News