These eyeglasses help the deaf see sounds around them
The deaf find it hard to move around without sound cues. Sudden noises alert people to things happening in a certain direction, and react faster.
Now a set of eyeglasses can help them do that. This is thanks to a light accessory called Peri that can be clipped onto existing glasses.
They have been designed by a group of students at the Singapore University of Technology and Design. The design won them a national level award.
The accessory includes four microphones that are to be attached at the corners of the eyeglasses. They can be tuned for sensitivity to noise volume. The lights will correspond with the direction that the loudest noise comes from.
The team is building a better version that could also include light sensors. There are over 300 million people in the world suffering from disabling hearing loss. An idea like the Peri glasses could improve many lives.
Watch in Sign Language
- Tobii Dynavox eye tracker is opening new world to little Ganga & others like her
February 14, 2019
- Move to promote inclusion or mere gimmick? Disability-themed emojis for 2019 get mixed reviews
February 11, 2019
- BleeTV offers accessible, stimulating content, on demand, in Indian sign language
February 7, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 9, 2019 The Learning Factory, a Musical Puppet Play
- Accessibility February 15, 2019 Review petition challenging 50% vision, hearing disability limit for judge's post to be filed next week
- Headlines February 14, 2019 Salman Khan’s ‘Bharat’ to have a multi-lingual release
- Events February 14, 2019 Medical Camp - Children with Disability & Mental Health Problems
- Technology February 14, 2019 Tobii Dynavox eye tracker is opening new world to little Ganga & others like her
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Outsider Art at the Kochi Muziris Biennale opens doors to people with autism
- Get-hooked February 12, 2019 Cherish your life with all its unique flaws and blessings- My Take by Sundari Sivasubbu, Author
- Events February 14, 2019 Special Day Outing For Special Families
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism in girls
- Headlines February 9, 2019 Akash Ambani and Shloka Mehta to tie the knot on 9 March
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News