These eyeglasses help the deaf see sounds around them
November 9, 2017
The deaf find it hard to move around without sound cues. Sudden noises alert people to things happening in a certain direction, and react faster.
Now a set of eyeglasses can help them do that. This is thanks to a light accessory called Peri that can be clipped onto existing glasses.
They have been designed by a group of students at the Singapore University of Technology and Design. The design won them a national level award.
The accessory includes four microphones that are to be attached at the corners of the eyeglasses. They can be tuned for sensitivity to noise volume. The lights will correspond with the direction that the loudest noise comes from.
The team is building a better version that could also include light sensors. There are over 300 million people in the world suffering from disabling hearing loss. An idea like the Peri glasses could improve many lives.
Watch in Sign Language
- #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
April 18, 2019
- Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
April 15, 2019
- Developmental disorders can now be diagnosed from home, thanks to this app developed by AIIMS
April 11, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 15, 2019 World Hemophilia Day 2019 aims for outreach & identification
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Inclusive Bowling event in Pune is the perfect weekend treat
- Accessibility April 13, 2019 Bus stops in Delhi to get audio facilities, says Delhi Transport Corporation
- Events April 16, 2019 Learning Through Play Workshop
- Headlines April 13, 2019 Black Hole image creator is a media star
- Get-hooked April 17, 2019 Karnataka candidate Ramanjinappa has an inclusive mission
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Jet Airways suspends all operations
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Congress spokesperson attacks her party
- Headlines April 16, 2019 World Cup Cricket - Indian side announced
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Anybody Can Paint helps visually impaired people find the artists within
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News