Kerala NGO starts online initiative for kids & adults with special needs
Helping Hands Organisation, an NGO based in Thiruvananthapuram in Kerala has started a first-of-its-kind program to helps adults with special needs.
It has started a tele-rehabilitation unit that wants to break the barriers imposed by distances and accessibility. It seeks to address problems of speech and hearing pathology among children and adults through technology, such as Skype.
Using technology to meet needs of disabled at long distance
The idea is to use high speed internet and video calling. The NGO works towards the rehabilitation of underprivileged autistic children. It has also launched a Facebook page to solve problems of people from across the country.
The NGO plans to work with trainers in far off places so that they come to know how the tele-rehabilitation unit works. They will then identify those children and adults who need speech and language therapy, and bring them to the local centre.
The group will be given speech therapy sessions from the NGO centre through Skype.
Contact them at 0471-310 1999 to know more.
Watch in Sign Language
- One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
February 18, 2019
- Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
February 18, 2019
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Ticket prices reduced for India’s fastest train
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Outsider Art at the Kochi Muziris Biennale opens doors to people with autism
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Disability rights body seeks Health Minister's intervention to overturn guidelines that discriminate against MBBS aspirants
- Headlines February 17, 2019 India-Australia series - Karthik dropped
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Vande Bharat Express breaks down a day after launch
- Technology February 17, 2019 Leveraging artificial intelligence for accessibility solutions focus of Microsoft India's Accessibility Summit
- Headlines February 15, 2019 India vs Australia - Update
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Annual Rendezvous event of Headway Foundation is an occasion to honour disabled achievers
- Events February 12, 2019 World Women's Day
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Barbie goes inclusive, launches line of dolls with disabilities
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 8, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News