Disability led me to explore life in different ways - My Take by Rajalakshmi, Miss Wheelchair World 2017 contestant
In My Take, Dr Rajalakshmi SJ, who is representing India at the Miss Wheelchair World pageant 2017 at Poland, says she is proud to represent India's disabled community on the world stage.
I being blessed with two different lives in the same lifetime - one as an abled person and the other as someone who is differently-abled.
My journey on wheelchair began when I was 21 years old after a road accident led to a spinal cord injury. Initially it was difficult because it was a new life and it took me six months to get used to it. But after that, I started exploring my life in different ways.
I did not give up on any of my dreams and I continued to pursue them on the wheelchair. I always wanted to become a doctor and I went on to do a degree in dental surgery. I also got a gold medal in dental surgery. I love fashion and as a model I am taking part in the contest.
I have won a legal battle for the rights of the disabled in education, organized Miss Wheelchair India 2015, conducted free dental health camps at schools, am a peer trainer for wheelchair training programs, participated in wheelchair basketball and wheelchair dance.
I have also appeared as a chief guest and a motivational speaker at several events, including Google.
I have also traveled to 11 countries on my wheelchair. I love driving my customized car and have done various road trips across my state.
In India, people see disability as a negative word. But it is just a word to describe, like your status or gender. People on wheelchairs or those who use assistive devices are visibly disabled. But there are many other disabilities like financial or emotional that are not visible.
At present, I am fighting a legal battle for the rights of disabled in jobs, expanding my dental clinic, gearing up for the wheelchair tennis tournament, and of course for the finals of the Miss Wheelchair World 2017.
I want to to represent India in the best way possible. I am representing the disabled in India and I want to do it in the best way possible.
I request you to cast a vote for me in the below link for Miss Wheelchair World 2017. You can vote once in every 24 hours using the same mail ID.
Click on the link - http://misswheelchairworld.com/en/miss,12,rajalakshmi-sj.html
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked October 16, 2018 Goa Governor’s comment about blind people raises hackles
- Get-hooked October 13, 2018 Kerala wheelchair user faces police harassment, organizations rally in support
- Get-hooked October 14, 2018 Visually impaired girls perfomed garba on song written by Prime Minister Narendra Modi
- Get-hooked October 16, 2018 High time to bid goodbye to idioms that mock the disabled community
- Get-hooked October 12, 2018 Some ways to celebrate an inclusive dandiya festival
- Education October 12, 2018 Simple accommodations that can make school less stressful for kids with dyslexia
- Get-hooked October 11, 2018 Meet the disabled man whose spontaneous dance has social media talking
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News