Disability led me to explore life in different ways - My Take by Rajalakshmi, Miss Wheelchair World 2017 contestant
In My Take, Dr Rajalakshmi SJ, who is representing India at the Miss Wheelchair World pageant 2017 at Poland, says she is proud to represent India's disabled community on the world stage.
I being blessed with two different lives in the same lifetime - one as an abled person and the other as someone who is differently-abled.
My journey on wheelchair began when I was 21 years old after a road accident led to a spinal cord injury. Initially it was difficult because it was a new life and it took me six months to get used to it. But after that, I started exploring my life in different ways.
I did not give up on any of my dreams and I continued to pursue them on the wheelchair. I always wanted to become a doctor and I went on to do a degree in dental surgery. I also got a gold medal in dental surgery. I love fashion and as a model I am taking part in the contest.
I have won a legal battle for the rights of the disabled in education, organized Miss Wheelchair India 2015, conducted free dental health camps at schools, am a peer trainer for wheelchair training programs, participated in wheelchair basketball and wheelchair dance.
I have also appeared as a chief guest and a motivational speaker at several events, including Google.
I have also traveled to 11 countries on my wheelchair. I love driving my customized car and have done various road trips across my state.
In India, people see disability as a negative word. But it is just a word to describe, like your status or gender. People on wheelchairs or those who use assistive devices are visibly disabled. But there are many other disabilities like financial or emotional that are not visible.
At present, I am fighting a legal battle for the rights of disabled in jobs, expanding my dental clinic, gearing up for the wheelchair tennis tournament, and of course for the finals of the Miss Wheelchair World 2017.
I want to to represent India in the best way possible. I am representing the disabled in India and I want to do it in the best way possible.
I request you to cast a vote for me in the below link for Miss Wheelchair World 2017. You can vote once in every 24 hours using the same mail ID.
Click on the link - http://misswheelchairworld.com/en/miss,12,rajalakshmi-sj.html
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 20, 2019 Two jets crash ahead of Bengaluru Aero India event, one pilot dies
- Parasports February 16, 2019 Inclusive tandem-cycling expedition #M2k2019 is back, this time even more scenic & challenging
- Parasports February 18, 2019 Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
- Get-hooked February 19, 2019 Here is how caregivers can avoid being burned out
- Events February 21, 2019 Course in Learning Disabilities from Samadhan Goyam
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Wheelchair etiquettes matter. Here is how to follow them.
- Technology February 17, 2019 Leveraging artificial intelligence for accessibility solutions focus of Microsoft India's Accessibility Summit
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 8, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 14, 2019