Para-swimmer Niranjan Mukundan completes Golden Quadrilateral drive in record time
November 13, 2017
Bengaluru-based para-swimmer Niranjan Mukundan, who has represented India at various athletic and swimming events in the world, has set a new record.
Niranjan completed the Golden Quadrilateral by car in record time.
Niranjan started his expedition on 31 July and completed the 5,846 km journey in 124 hours and 52 minutes.
He drove through Chennai, Mumbai, Delhi and Kolkata. He is the youngest and fastest to do so.
With Niranjan, was his childhood friend Vivek, who was also the navigator.
The previous record was held by Harish Kumar who completed the journey in 129 hours.
Niranjan's time has been approved by the India Book of Records under the Differently Abled to cover the Golden Quadrilateral category.
Niranjan, who is the 2015 Junior World Champion at the World Junior Games, drove a Hyundai i20.
Niranjan was born with spina bifida, a condition where the affected person has incomplete spinal development and clubbed feet. He started swimming early in his life as doctors said it was good for his development.
He has also represented India at IWAS, International Wheelchair and Amputee Sports, and World Junior Games.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events April 18, 2019 Treasure Island
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Maneka Gandhi gets notice from Election Commission
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Sadhvi Pragya retracts remark about 26/11 martyr
- Accessibility April 18, 2019 Platforms at Coimbatore railway station will now get lifts
- Accessibility April 14, 2019 Accessibility issues reported from across India on first phase of voting
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Bethany Society Shillong are champs at the 4th national blind football tournament
- Events April 15, 2019 Tandem Challenge
- Headlines April 19, 2019 ‘Kalank’ is highest grosser on opening day for 2019
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 #AutismPower - Mumbai's Cafe Arpan is brewing a change, along with great coffee
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism and dental health
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News