Bengaluru's Namma Metro leads the way in being disabled friendly
November 13, 2017
For people like Sudhakar H Chandanakera, the Namma Metro in Bengaluru is a friendly face.
Sudhakar, who has a fractured right leg, is helped with boarding the train daily by security guards who are ready with a wheelchair to help him.
When he gets off, he gets support till the exit gate. Since 22 June, Sudhakar has been depending on the wheelchair facility provided at Metro stations.
The Bengaluru Metro authorities have sensitized its staff on the needs of physically disabled passengers. There are two to four wheelchairs in each of the 41 stations. The Rotary Club has donated 100.
The disabled are helped with wheelchairs from the entrance of the station to the train. If the person wants, the wheelchair can be taken inside the train too and dropped at the next station where they get down.
At stations, there are security guards to assist them.
Every month, on the third Sunday, staff from different stations are being trained in sign language as well. The training started two months ago and aims to teach the staff ways to communicate.
Watch in Sign Language
- Kozhikode Collectorate introduces facilities for accessible elections
April 21, 2019
- In a first, residents of a mental health centre in Chennai cast their votes. Here's how it happened
April 20, 2019
- CBSE to allow visual aids in Class 10 exams from 2020 for students with vision impairments
April 19, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Anybody Can Paint helps visually impaired people find the artists within
- Headlines April 16, 2019 World Cup Cricket - Indian side announced
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Sadhvi Pragya retracts remark about 26/11 martyr
- Accessibility April 20, 2019 In a first, residents of a mental health centre in Chennai cast their votes. Here's how it happened
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Expectations from the next government of India - My Take by Jasmina Khanna
- Get-hooked April 17, 2019 Karnataka candidate Ramanjinappa has an inclusive mission
- Headlines April 17, 2019 IPL 2019 - Rajasthan Royals lose again
- Events April 18, 2019 EasterFest
- Events April 15, 2019 NALS Adventure Camp
- Technology April 15, 2019 Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News