Bengaluru's Namma Metro leads the way in being disabled friendly
November 13, 2017
For people like Sudhakar H Chandanakera, the Namma Metro in Bengaluru is a friendly face.
Sudhakar, who has a fractured right leg, is helped with boarding the train daily by security guards who are ready with a wheelchair to help him.
When he gets off, he gets support till the exit gate. Since 22 June, Sudhakar has been depending on the wheelchair facility provided at Metro stations.
The Bengaluru Metro authorities have sensitized its staff on the needs of physically disabled passengers. There are two to four wheelchairs in each of the 41 stations. The Rotary Club has donated 100.
The disabled are helped with wheelchairs from the entrance of the station to the train. If the person wants, the wheelchair can be taken inside the train too and dropped at the next station where they get down.
At stations, there are security guards to assist them.
Every month, on the third Sunday, staff from different stations are being trained in sign language as well. The training started two months ago and aims to teach the staff ways to communicate.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 17, 2019 More deaths due to encephalitis in Bihar
- Get-hooked June 12, 2019 Providing service with care & compassion is the mantra for Walktors At Home
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Some tips to protect disabled children from bullying
- Events June 13, 2019 Workshop on Trust Deed and Support Circles for Special Needs
- Employment June 17, 2019 SAI Bakery offers adults with developmental disabilities space to bond & learn
- Get-hooked June 17, 2019 Does parenting change with changing eyesight? - Guest column by Vineet Saraiwala
- Get-hooked June 13, 2019 Feeling body positive when you have a disability
- Education June 13, 2019 #ChangeMakers - National award winning teacher Manju Arif calls children the biggest inclusion champions
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Acid attack survivors hope SRK's support will lend greater focus to their campaign
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Amitabh Bachchan donates to families of Pulwama martyrs
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News