Meet the woman behind a mobile school for the blind in Kerala
Jyothirgamaya Foundation is a revolutionary effort in Kerala that aims to empower the blind and visually impaired people in all areas of life.
Founded by a blind woman Tiffany Brar, Jyothirgamaya seeks to help the blind lead independent lives and also tries to change the attitudes of the society towards the blind people.
Tiffany is the receiver of the Kerala State disability Award, Rotary International For the sake of honor Award and Bold and Beautiful award from Doordarshan. She is a graduate of English literature and has a teacher's training degree in special education (visual impairment), from Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda University.
The daughter of an army officer, Tiffany has traveled and studied in different parts of India throughout her life. She is fluent in five languages- English, Malayalam, Tamil, Nepali and Hindi.
Many blind people in Kerala are unable to move around without help due to inaccessible roads, lack of awareness, poverty and carelessness on the part of parents and guardians.
Taking this into account, Jyothirgamaya has started a need-based individual training to the blind people at their places of residence.
The mobile blind school is a unique way to teach different skills as per the needs of the visually impaired individuals.
Other activities of the foundation include adapted physical education, blind yoga, communicative English training, employability training, legal help and various camps.
Watch in Sign Language
- Health Problems in children with Autism
December 16, 2018
- Empowerment of disabled women was the focus of cross disability workshops in Kerala
December 16, 2018
- 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 - Hearing Impairment - Deaf and hard of hearing
December 15, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Miracle on Wheels is transforming lives of thousands of wheelchair users in India
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 Deaf candidate Sudeep Shukla impresses in polls, shows the way to disabled political aspirants
- Employment December 11, 2018 Learn sign language over a cuppa at this Jodhpur cafe
- Headlines December 14, 2018 Senior BJP leader questions choice of new RBI governor, party embarrassed
- Headlines December 13, 2018 India vs Australia - Prithvi Shaw will miss second Test
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Diabetes-related eye diseases is the leading cause of blindness in India, says study
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Society attitudes are a big threat for development of children with disabilities
- Headlines December 11, 2018 Farmer sells 2,000-kg onion for 6/-, sends money to top politician
- Headlines December 15, 2018 Badminton players Saina Nehwal and Parupalli Kashyap are married
- Headlines December 13, 2018 Zomato delivery boy sacked after video goes viral
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked December 14, 2018
Get-hooked December 10, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018