Meet the woman behind a mobile school for the blind in Kerala
Jyothirgamaya Foundation is a revolutionary effort in Kerala that aims to empower the blind and visually impaired people in all areas of life.
Founded by a blind woman Tiffany Brar, Jyothirgamaya seeks to help the blind lead independent lives and also tries to change the attitudes of the society towards the blind people.
Tiffany is the receiver of the Kerala State disability Award, Rotary International For the sake of honor Award and Bold and Beautiful award from Doordarshan. She is a graduate of English literature and has a teacher's training degree in special education (visual impairment), from Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda University.
The daughter of an army officer, Tiffany has traveled and studied in different parts of India throughout her life. She is fluent in five languages- English, Malayalam, Tamil, Nepali and Hindi.
Many blind people in Kerala are unable to move around without help due to inaccessible roads, lack of awareness, poverty and carelessness on the part of parents and guardians.
Taking this into account, Jyothirgamaya has started a need-based individual training to the blind people at their places of residence.
The mobile blind school is a unique way to teach different skills as per the needs of the visually impaired individuals.
Other activities of the foundation include adapted physical education, blind yoga, communicative English training, employability training, legal help and various camps.
Watch in Sign Language
- One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
February 18, 2019
- Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
February 18, 2019
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Outsider Art at the Kochi Muziris Biennale opens doors to people with autism
- Events February 17, 2019 Skills Development Transition Program
- Get-hooked February 13, 2019 Disabled people are routine targets of abuse by Indian politicians despite laws banning this
- Events February 14, 2019 Free Eye Camp
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Actor Irrfan Khan is awaiting medical reports to start working
- Technology February 14, 2019 Tobii Dynavox eye tracker is opening new world to little Ganga & others like her
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Ticket prices reduced for India’s fastest train
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
- Headlines February 14, 2019 Salman Khan’s ‘Bharat’ to have a multi-lingual release
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Rajasthan Royals will wear pink this IPL season
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News