Get set to celebrate Durga Puja in Kolkata with Braille technology!
September 29, 2017
For the first time in Kolkata, the blind will get an idea of the Durga Puja theme through touch.
The West Bengal Social Welfare has tied up with an NGO to make arrangements that will help the blind experience Durga Puja through Braille technology.
The description in Braille will be available in 10 major puja pandals in North and South Kolkata. The idea is to ensure that the disabled can enjoy the festivities along with everyone else.
The pandals that will have these facilities include ones at Kashi Bose Lane, Kumartuli Sarbojonin, Hari Ghosh street in the north and Shivmandir near Mudiali and Tridhara near Deshapriya Park in south.
Some people were taken to the Tridhara Puja pandal to get a feel of the experience.
The department has been releasing the Braille puja guide since 2012. Awards will also be given for the three best pujas that contribute towards making their facilities disabled friendly.
Special arrangements are also being made for about 100 disabled people to travel to these NGOs.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 15, 2019 World’s largest plane takes off successfully
- Accessibility April 17, 2019 Election Commission's PwD App has a welcome update for visually impaired voters
- Headlines April 21, 2019 IPL 2019 - Royals & Capitals win
- Events April 18, 2019 Playful Parenting for Happier Urban Families
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Make comedy film on PM Modi: Urmila Matondkar
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Notre Dame cathedral in Paris catches fire
- Events April 15, 2019 Tandem Challenge
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News