Get set to celebrate Durga Puja in Kolkata with Braille technology!
For the first time in Kolkata, the blind will get an idea of the Durga Puja theme through touch.
The West Bengal Social Welfare has tied up with an NGO to make arrangements that will help the blind experience Durga Puja through Braille technology.
The description in Braille will be available in 10 major puja pandals in North and South Kolkata. The idea is to ensure that the disabled can enjoy the festivities along with everyone else.
The pandals that will have these facilities include ones at Kashi Bose Lane, Kumartuli Sarbojonin, Hari Ghosh street in the north and Shivmandir near Mudiali and Tridhara near Deshapriya Park in south.
Some people were taken to the Tridhara Puja pandal to get a feel of the experience.
The department has been releasing the Braille puja guide since 2012. Awards will also be given for the three best pujas that contribute towards making their facilities disabled friendly.
Special arrangements are also being made for about 100 disabled people to travel to these NGOs.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Wheelchair etiquettes matter. Here is how to follow them.
- Accessibility February 19, 2019 Kerala government launches projects to empower visually impaired people
- Events February 13, 2019 Job Oriented Preparatory Workshop for persons with disabilities
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Outsider Art at the Kochi Muziris Biennale opens doors to people with autism
- Education February 19, 2019 The Gati initiative is enabling mainstream Mumbai schools to provide high quality, inclusive education
- Parasports February 16, 2019 Inclusive tandem-cycling expedition #M2k2019 is back, this time even more scenic & challenging
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 9, 2019
Get-hooked February 11, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News