Get set to celebrate Durga Puja in Kolkata with Braille technology!
September 29, 2017
For the first time in Kolkata, the blind will get an idea of the Durga Puja theme through touch.
The West Bengal Social Welfare has tied up with an NGO to make arrangements that will help the blind experience Durga Puja through Braille technology.
The description in Braille will be available in 10 major puja pandals in North and South Kolkata. The idea is to ensure that the disabled can enjoy the festivities along with everyone else.
The pandals that will have these facilities include ones at Kashi Bose Lane, Kumartuli Sarbojonin, Hari Ghosh street in the north and Shivmandir near Mudiali and Tridhara near Deshapriya Park in south.
Some people were taken to the Tridhara Puja pandal to get a feel of the experience.
The department has been releasing the Braille puja guide since 2012. Awards will also be given for the three best pujas that contribute towards making their facilities disabled friendly.
Special arrangements are also being made for about 100 disabled people to travel to these NGOs.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Education June 20, 2019 #ChangeMakers - An idol to many, Elizabeth Philip keeps inspiring through her relentless work
- Get-hooked June 23, 2019 Best friends Mary Vincy & Mary Jiya shares their success mantras
- Events June 20, 2019 Mental Health Session
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Celebrate Autism Pride Day, every day
- Headlines June 22, 2019 Narendra Modi celebrates yoga day at Ranchi
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Bhuvneshwar Kumar out for 2 matches
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News