Hyderabad airport is India's first to become disabled friendly! Learn how
October 5, 2017
In keeping with the Accessible India Campaign, the GMR Hyderabad International Airport Ltd has introduced a wheelchair lift or verti-lift to help senior citizens and passengers with limited mobility.
The facility has been made available to domestic passengers arriving at the airport. On an average, around 40,000 passengers fly in and out of Hyderabad each day, out of which more than 100 arrival passengers are on wheelchairs.
Disabled passengers are usually escorted by an airline staff towards the baggage claim area. To minimize the wait time at the elevators, the verti-lift solution has been introduced.
The lift is electrically powered and can be operated by a remote control. There is also a backup power source to ensure uninterrupted operations of the lift at all times.
There is also dedicated curbside parking with proper signage, and intercom calling facility at both departure and arrival ramps. Wheelchair assistance from the curbside till check-in is also provided at the airport.
All elevators across the terminal have Braille instructions and there is a dedicated security check lane. Dedicated seating arrangements and wheel-chair friendly washrooms apart from free buggy services are also available.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Headlines April 16, 2019 World Cup Cricket - Indian side announced
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Bethany Society Shillong are champs at the 4th national blind football tournament
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 Voter Helpline in ISL aims to enable deaf voters make an informed choice
- Technology April 15, 2019 Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Dialogue in the Dark session at Gujarat National Law University triggers important conversations
- Accessibility April 13, 2019 Bus stops in Delhi to get audio facilities, says Delhi Transport Corporation
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News