Get-hooked December 8, 2019
Understanding Benefits of Learning Coding For Children with Intellectual Disabilities
Children with intellectual disabilities, autism have been found to be good at computer programming. Computer programming also known as coding means writing programs that tell a computer how to perform a task.
Children can be introduced to learning coding at an early age. The skills they learn increases their employability when they grow up into adults. They can work for others or freelance and live financially independent lives.
Web developers are high in demand due to the large scale digitalization of our society. Children with autism and intellectual disabilities can learn designing and other skills of the trade.
It has been observed that these children have an attention to detail and like to do things that are repetitive, this makes them good at programming and web designing. They also prefer to work alone due to lack of social skills.
Mangai Alwar, a mother from Chennai is happy that her son is enjoying learning coding.
“My son Prem Sankar completed 12th standard in Tamil Nadu state Board. He is now learning html coding through Hashhackcode.com. The training is helping to find job opportunities for intellectually differently abled guys in coding and web designing,” she says.
Computing programming teaches the skills to children that are very much in demand these days. Computers have become an integral part of our lives and are used widely in almost all sectors such as education, health, banking, businesses etc.This means that there is a growing demand for workers who are good at programing codes as per client needs and also we developers.
We focus on the learning ability of the child to make sure that they are not rushed. The approach should be inclusive and unbiased towards children with disabilities. The children can be taught through visual aids and practical teaching methods to make learning interesting and easier. Manu Sekar Founder Hash Hack Code Academy
Since every child is unique and learns at his or her own pace, it is advisable to give the child ample time and opportunity to learn the skills. Here are a few things to consider:
- Children with intellectual disabilities can find the learning process interesting or challenging depending on their individual liking.
- Many children can start learning coding at an early age, the visual learning process are more effective when the kids are young.
- An inclusive learning environment is must for the children to feel comfortable. The teachers should be extremely patient and understand the mental needs of the students to make the process effective.
- While some children may learn in a classroom, others may prefer one on one lessons privately.
- There are options to learn in classrooms, coding academies or even through online courses.
- Coding courses should be enjoyable for the children.
- Appreciation and praise is mandatory to keep the children motivated.
Support us to make NewzHook Sustainable – Make a Contribution Today
We need your continued support to enable us work towards Changing Attitudes towards Disability. Help us in our attempt to share the voices of people with disabilities that enable them to participate in the society on an equal footing!