Soulfree reaches out to severely disabled women in India, victims of the worst abuse
Women with disabilities face multiple challenges in India. Disability is just a small part of this. What is worse is the neglect, apathy and abuse they are subjected to.
Soulfree in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, is India's first NGO to reach out to women with severe disabilities. "Identifying these women is very, very hard", says founder Preethi Sreenivasan, who is quadriplegic. "They are kept hidden, their parents prefer not to acknowledge them. I have even been told by a parent that she would prefer that her disabled daughter dies".
It is this lack of family support that is their biggest disability and Soulfree is trying to change that through awareness campaigns so they can lead a life of dignity and purpose.
It also offers a monthly stipend for 20 severely disabled people in villages to support them with various needs like education, business ventures or medical needs. Soulfree also provides retrofitted scooters, wheelchairs and other mobility aids.Twice a year, it sends out 'gift boxes' of medicines and other important medical supplies to the disabled, especially in rural areas.
Soulfree aims to set up an integrated rehabilitation and care centre for disabled women who do not have family members to support them.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Some useful Information about Angelman Syndrome
- Headlines December 16, 2018 Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh may be announced today
- Headlines December 17, 2018 P V Sindhu makes history, becomes 1st Indian to win BWF World Tour title
- Accessibility December 17, 2018 Ezy Mov, the wheelchair taxi service, makes Accessible Goa a reality
- Headlines December 13, 2018 India vs Australia - Prithvi Shaw will miss second Test
- Get-hooked December 18, 2018 How a trek led to the start of a larger journey - My Take by P Devendra, Founder, Nayan Foundation
- Employment December 15, 2018 Staff from schools for disabled kids protest against government apathy in Kerala
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked December 8, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018