Major Durga Puja pandals inaccessible in Kolkata, says study
September 30, 2017
An NGO based in Kolkata has said that more than 70% big banner Durga Puja pandals in the city are not accessible for people with disabilities.
The NGO found that the pandal managements failed to provide adequate equipment and accessibility for the disabled. This is against the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (RPWD) Act passed in 2016.
Basic arrangements like wheelchair and ramp inside the tents are missing. Most of the pandals only have stairs to enter the venue.
The observations by the NGO also state that there is a lack of basic sensitivity and understanding about accessibility among the big pujas in Kolkata.
This is strange considering the campaigns by the central government for promoting accessible India.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Celebrate Autism Pride Day, every day
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Sherin & Neerada’s deep bond of friendship is rooted in understanding & respect
- Headlines June 19, 2019 Aussie player Steve Smith praises Virat
- Parasports June 21, 2019 Ahead of Physical Disability World Series, allegations of bias against selectors
- Parasports June 20, 2019 Sonakshi Sinha likely to play the part of Paralympian Deepa Malik
- Parasports June 19, 2019 Tamil Nadu set to rock the National Wheelchair Basketball Championship
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Growing number of fake disability certification rackets highlight need for stricter checks & action
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News