Major Durga Puja pandals inaccessible in Kolkata, says study
September 30, 2017
An NGO based in Kolkata has said that more than 70% big banner Durga Puja pandals in the city are not accessible for people with disabilities.
The NGO found that the pandal managements failed to provide adequate equipment and accessibility for the disabled. This is against the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (RPWD) Act passed in 2016.
Basic arrangements like wheelchair and ramp inside the tents are missing. Most of the pandals only have stairs to enter the venue.
The observations by the NGO also state that there is a lack of basic sensitivity and understanding about accessibility among the big pujas in Kolkata.
This is strange considering the campaigns by the central government for promoting accessible India.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 Shubhajit aims to enter history books as first double arm amputee to complete Bengaluru-Ladakh bike ride
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 #AutismPower - Julia's family feature all through April on popular show Sesame Street
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 People with disabilities must consider issues not propaganda - Dr B S Patil & Monika S Kshatriya
- Parasports April 17, 2019 London will now host the ninth World Para Swimming Championship
- Events April 18, 2019 EasterFest
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Amitabh Bachchan pays 70 crore tax
- Headlines April 20, 2019 IPL 2019 - Bengaluru beat Kolkata
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News