Centre criticizes Maharashtra government for delays in Accessible India campaign
The Maharashtra government has been strongly criticized by the central government for failing to make all government structures disabled friendly.
After this, senior state government officials have issued a warning to all departments asking them to identify the 50 most important buildings in the state and and make them accessible to persons with disabilities.
Maharashtra has failed to make transport systems accessible for the disabled. The government has asked the Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation to make sure that all 570 bus stands meet the standards.
All bus stops have to be equipped with ramps, and reserve five seats in buses for the disabled. Support bars, ring brackets and velcro belts will also be provided.
The Accessible India Campaign was launched on 3 December, 2015 to ensure universal accessibility for persons with disabilities in the transport system, and information and technology. 18 organisations were chosen as auditors and 50 cities were selected.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked November 11, 2018 Stephen Hawking's wheelchair & thesis fetch over $1 million at auction
- Headlines November 9, 2018 Delhi pollution at hazardous levels after Diwali celebrations
- Employment November 11, 2018 Career choices for people with autism
- Accessibility November 12, 2018 I want to make a mobile app accessible to visually impaired! Really? - Guest column by Shilpi Kapoor, Founder, Barrier Break
- Get-hooked November 13, 2018 "It was like the whole universe came together" - My Take by Ruma Roka, founder, Noida Deaf Society
- Get-hooked November 12, 2018 Inclusive trek near Bengaluru brings visually impaired & sighted people together
- Headlines November 10, 2018 Vijay’s ‘Sarkar’ enters Rs 100 Crore club amidst controversies
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked November 10, 2018