From schools to toilets, Swarga Foundation is on a mission to make Coimbatore disabled friendly
Swarga Foundation, based in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, has spearheaded many critical disabled friendly measures on the ground.
They are behind Sarathi, Coimbatore's first wheelchair accessible transportation service, that offers safe and reliable travel for any person with mobility impairment to any location of choice within and outside Coimbatore city.
Perhaps most special among Swarga Foundation's achievements is the work it is doing among Gen Next. It is working with six schools in the city with the goal of building an inclusive society.
"We work with disabled and able bodied kids who study in the same schools", says Swarnalatha J, who is the co-founder of Swarga Foundation. "From putting able-bodied kids in wheelchairs to making them do activities blindfolded, the idea is to expose them to the perspective of people with disabilities", she says. "These kids are going to be townplanners and architects in the future and it is important they see the world from the perspective of the disabled."
In partnership with the Election Commission of Tamil Nadu, Swarga Foundation has also created awareness about 100% voting among the disabled through puppet shows.
Swarga shot into prominence with the launch of the 2017 edition of the I’m Special Calendar focusing on 12 people affected with neurological diseases who are achievers. "The idea was to show that there is another side to people with disabilities and that there is so much to celebrate about the human spirit", says Swarnalatha.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events January 21, 2019 Agra Deaf Enable Society- Republic Day Event
- Headlines January 19, 2019 India wins one day series in Australia
- Get-hooked January 19, 2019 Find a life partner at this disability matrimonial event
- Parasports January 20, 2019 Samarthanam Trust, Pinkathon to.organize ultra-marathon for visually impaired people
- Events January 18, 2019 Rapid & Blitz Chess Tournament
- Events January 20, 2019 Parent Workshop on Toilet Training
- Headlines January 21, 2019 Kangana threatens to destroy Karni Sena over objections to film
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Accessibility January 18, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News