From schools to toilets, Swarga Foundation is on a mission to make Coimbatore disabled friendly
Swarga Foundation, based in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, has spearheaded many critical disabled friendly measures on the ground.
They are behind Sarathi, Coimbatore's first wheelchair accessible transportation service, that offers safe and reliable travel for any person with mobility impairment to any location of choice within and outside Coimbatore city.
Perhaps most special among Swarga Foundation's achievements is the work it is doing among Gen Next. It is working with six schools in the city with the goal of building an inclusive society.
"We work with disabled and able bodied kids who study in the same schools", says Swarnalatha J, who is the co-founder of Swarga Foundation. "From putting able-bodied kids in wheelchairs to making them do activities blindfolded, the idea is to expose them to the perspective of people with disabilities", she says. "These kids are going to be townplanners and architects in the future and it is important they see the world from the perspective of the disabled."
In partnership with the Election Commission of Tamil Nadu, Swarga Foundation has also created awareness about 100% voting among the disabled through puppet shows.
Swarga shot into prominence with the launch of the 2017 edition of the I’m Special Calendar focusing on 12 people affected with neurological diseases who are achievers. "The idea was to show that there is another side to people with disabilities and that there is so much to celebrate about the human spirit", says Swarnalatha.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked November 15, 2018 Prince Durairaj is on a mission to spread awareness on child sexual abuse
- Parasports November 20, 2018 Jharkhand girls stand tall despite loss in first inter-state women’s blind cricket tournament
- Accessibility November 15, 2018 Lack of clarity on revised admission norms leaves disabled students & parents groping in the dark
- Get-hooked November 14, 2018 First ever scientific study establishes the magical link between music & autism
- Accessibility November 19, 2018 #MeToo moment eludes India's disabled women, Tamil Nadu study reveals extent of invisibility
- Parasports November 20, 2018 Divyaang Myithri Sports Academy’s wheelchair cricket camp is a success
- Events November 20, 2018 Basic Computer Training Program for Children & Adults with Special Needs
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked November 17, 2018