From schools to toilets, Swarga Foundation is on a mission to make Coimbatore disabled friendly
October 29, 2017
Swarga Foundation, based in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, has spearheaded many critical disabled friendly measures on the ground.
They are behind Sarathi, Coimbatore's first wheelchair accessible transportation service, that offers safe and reliable travel for any person with mobility impairment to any location of choice within and outside Coimbatore city.
Perhaps most special among Swarga Foundation's achievements is the work it is doing among Gen Next. It is working with six schools in the city with the goal of building an inclusive society.
"We work with disabled and able bodied kids who study in the same schools", says Swarnalatha J, who is the co-founder of Swarga Foundation. "From putting able-bodied kids in wheelchairs to making them do activities blindfolded, the idea is to expose them to the perspective of people with disabilities", she says. "These kids are going to be townplanners and architects in the future and it is important they see the world from the perspective of the disabled."
In partnership with the Election Commission of Tamil Nadu, Swarga Foundation has also created awareness about 100% voting among the disabled through puppet shows.
Swarga shot into prominence with the launch of the 2017 edition of the I'm Special Calendar focusing on 12 people affected with neurological diseases who are achievers. "The idea was to show that there is another side to people with disabilities and that there is so much to celebrate about the human spirit", says Swarnalatha.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines July 10, 2019 Karnataka political crisis intensifies
- Get-hooked July 11, 2019 Rising Flame launches leadership programme for women with disabilities
- Events July 14, 2019 Masti Time: Come share your stories
- Parasports July 9, 2019 Ahead of crucial World Cup match, India's disabled cricketers have tips for Team India
- Headlines July 15, 2019 ‘Chandrayaan 2’ launch called off after technical slag
- Get-hooked July 11, 2019 #RareDiseases - Attitude key when living with Ataxia
- Headlines July 12, 2019 India celebrates with Dutee Chand
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News