Learn the types of cerebral palsy
There are a few different types of cerebral palsy. It is classified by the type and location of movement problems. There are also different levels of severity.
There are four main types:
Spastic - This is the most common form of CP and is also known as spastic cerebral palsy. This is caused by damage to the brain’s motor cortex. The most common signs are stiff, exaggerated movements.
Athetoidor dyskinetic - This is caused to the brain’s basal ganglia, which controls balance and coordination. Children often show involuntary tremors.
Ataxic - This type is caused by damage to the cerebellum, which is that part of the brain that connects to the spine. The signs are lack of coordination and balance.
Mixed - This is when a person shows signs of more than one type of CP.
Cerebral palsy is also grouped by the severity or location of paralysis. This is described using the term plegia, or paralysis, of one or more limbs.
The location of paralysis is described as:
Monoplegia – Paralysis of one limb
Diplegia or Paraplegia – Paralysis of two limbs, usually the legs
Hemiplegia – Paralysis on one side of body
Quadriplegia – Paralysis of whole body (face, arms, legs, torso)
Double hemiplegia – Paralysis of the whole body.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked November 17, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 – Multiple Disabilities
- Get-hooked November 15, 2018 Prince Durairaj is on a mission to spread awareness on child sexual abuse
- Get-hooked November 20, 2018 Delhi government move to set up ministry for disabled people meets with cautious response
- Get-hooked November 17, 2018 What made Stan Lee's superheroes so magical for children with autism
- Accessibility November 19, 2018 #MeToo moment eludes India's disabled women, Tamil Nadu study reveals extent of invisibility
- Accessibility November 18, 2018 Iconic film Sholay to be screened with audio description at IFFI 2018
- Headlines November 15, 2018 Samsung to launch smartphone with four rear cameras in India this month
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked November 16, 2018
Get-hooked November 14, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked November 17, 2018