Learn the types of cerebral palsy
October 3, 2017
There are a few different types of cerebral palsy. It is classified by the type and location of movement problems. There are also different levels of severity.
There are four main types:
Spastic - This is the most common form of CP and is also known as spastic cerebral palsy. This is caused by damage to the brain's motor cortex. The most common signs are stiff, exaggerated movements.
Athetoidor dyskinetic - This is caused to the brain's basal ganglia, which controls balance and coordination. Children often show involuntary tremors.
Ataxic - This type is caused by damage to the cerebellum, which is that part of the brain that connects to the spine. The signs are lack of coordination and balance.
Mixed - This is when a person shows signs of more than one type of CP.
Cerebral palsy is also grouped by the severity or location of paralysis. This is described using the term plegia, or paralysis, of one or more limbs.
The location of paralysis is described as:
Monoplegia - Paralysis of one limb
Diplegia or Paraplegia - Paralysis of two limbs, usually the legs
Hemiplegia - Paralysis on one side of body
Quadriplegia - Paralysis of whole body (face, arms, legs, torso)
Double hemiplegia - Paralysis of the whole body.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 People with disabilities must consider issues not propaganda - Dr B S Patil & Monika S Kshatriya
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Swarga Foundation workshop at Coimbatore airport builds sensitivity towards needs of disabled travelers
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Notre Dame cathedral in Paris catches fire
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Shatrughan Sinha's wife joins Samajwadi Party
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 How to help a person with autism feel calm
- Accessibility April 14, 2019 Accessibility issues reported from across India on first phase of voting
- Events April 16, 2019 Learning Through Play Workshop
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News