AADI - making its presence felt in rural & urban India in disability rights
October 25, 2017
From a small centre for education of children with cerebral palsy, AADI - Action for Ability Development and Inclusion - is an established national level organization working for the rights of people with disabilities.
AADI has been the forerunner in creating service delivery approaches in urban and rural settings, developing a cadre of human resource to directly address the needs of persons with disabilities and spread services in different parts of the country. It also influences policy and law that addresses their needs.
AADI works with people across impairments - physical, intellectual, cognitive, mental, sensory and multiple impairments. It is active in Delhi & NCR and in about 83 villages in the Ballabgarh Block of Faridabad district, Haryana.
"The activities that AADI does is to build life skills for people with disabilities across all ages. Life skills are a range of skills a person needs to know to manage his or her daily life and participate in the family and community. These are functional skills that assist a person to live life with dignity, purpose and control over their lives", says Charulekha K, Resource Mobilization Head, AADI.
Over the last year, AADI was part of the core group of both the government-appointed committee and civil society that formulated the RPWD Bill. AADI advocated for its implementation with political parties across the spectrum. It was also part of the advocacy for the waiver of tax on disability related goods under the GST.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 27, 2019 PM Modi to be sworn in on 30 May
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Huge turnout for #MenToo protests held in Delhi
- Headlines May 26, 2019 Rahul Gandhi's resignation offer rejected
- Headlines May 23, 2019 Election 2019 - Sensex at 40K as leads show 2nd term for PM Modi
- Get-hooked May 26, 2019 #BeingMom - Pratibha Bhatnagar shows us why mothers are such champions
- Accessibility May 21, 2019 Check out these accessible holiday destinations in India
- Headlines May 22, 2019 PM Modi pays tribute to Rajiv Gandhi on death anniversary
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 Pune centre builds awareness, stands up to the stigma around schizophrenia
- Get-hooked May 22, 2019 Experts claim music therapy helps enhance critical skills in children with autism
- Headlines May 26, 2019 #SidhuQuitPolitics trends on social media
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News