AADI - making its presence felt in rural & urban India in disability rights
October 25, 2017
From a small centre for education of children with cerebral palsy, AADI - Action for Ability Development and Inclusion - is an established national level organization working for the rights of people with disabilities.
AADI has been the forerunner in creating service delivery approaches in urban and rural settings, developing a cadre of human resource to directly address the needs of persons with disabilities and spread services in different parts of the country. It also influences policy and law that addresses their needs.
AADI works with people across impairments - physical, intellectual, cognitive, mental, sensory and multiple impairments. It is active in Delhi & NCR and in about 83 villages in the Ballabgarh Block of Faridabad district, Haryana.
"The activities that AADI does is to build life skills for people with disabilities across all ages. Life skills are a range of skills a person needs to know to manage his or her daily life and participate in the family and community. These are functional skills that assist a person to live life with dignity, purpose and control over their lives", says Charulekha K, Resource Mobilization Head, AADI.
Over the last year, AADI was part of the core group of both the government-appointed committee and civil society that formulated the RPWD Bill. AADI advocated for its implementation with political parties across the spectrum. It was also part of the advocacy for the waiver of tax on disability related goods under the GST.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines March 22, 2019 Trailer of biopic PM Narendra Modi gets over one million views
- Headlines March 25, 2019 New Zealand PM Jacinda Ardern wins praise for response to terror attack
- Get-hooked March 24, 2019 Amazon move to remove books spreading misinformation about autism gets a thumbs up
- Get-hooked March 23, 2019 Parenting Corner- Potty Training Children with Down syndrome
- Get-hooked March 23, 2019 ‘Chaya’, a theatre performance by wheelchair users in Kerala, becomes grand success
- Events March 19, 2019 BGFI's session on STEM study - An Inclusive Avenue for the Blind
- Events March 20, 2019 Session by Smrithy Rajesh
- Get-hooked March 22, 2019 National award winner, dancer & sportsman, all-rounder Akshay inspires youngsters
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 Rewire your brain – Guest Column by Dr Elavatsala Sharma
- Headlines March 25, 2019 111 farmers to contest elections against PM Modi
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News