Enabling disabled poor to become leaders - My Take by Dr Amitabh Mehrotra, founder of rural schools in Uttar Pradesh
In My Take this week, Dr Amitabh Mehrotra, talks about his experiences battling disability, that led him to found SPARC India in Uttar Pradesh, whose mission is to reach the disabled poor.
From getting admission into school to interacting with children my age, I grew up experiencing the discrimination and lack of opportunities that people with disabilities routinely face in India.
I was born in Maharajganj tehsil in Uttar Pradesh, which is a rural area. With great difficulty I got admission into school, and even after that I had a hard time writing notes. My parents and sisters would help me by copying notes but I always felt isolated as I would never be asked to join in the games.
These experiences made me determined to overcome such barriers, not just for myself but others, who were disabled like me.
I did my doctorate specifically in the topic of inclusion in a rural setting and this was the foundation of SPARC - School for Potential Advancement and Restoration of Confidence. I started this in 1996 at the old, walled city of Lucknow. Within a year we brought eight villages of Barabanki district under its scope.
I also wanted to reach out to them early, and with this specific aim, I started the SPARC India-Jyoti Kiran School in Lucknow. Here we have 60 odd students, and our focus is to equip them to battle their physical and psychological challenges.
Today SPARC India works in 30 districts of Uttar Pradesh, and we function through the Uttar Pradesh Viklang Manch, that is an organisation at the local level. We focus on themes like education, health, skill development and accessing rights and entitlements.
In our village schools and rural slums, we also offer leadership training to the disabled, so they can become empowered, independent members of society, who can occupy an equal place in society like everyone else.
Watch in Sign Language
- Society attitudes are a big threat for development of children with disabilities
December 12, 2018
- Abuse at therapy centres in Kerala under scanner again, government promises redressal
December 12, 2018
- Some benefits of yoga for children with autism
December 12, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 9, 2018 Resolving 26/11 Mumbai attacks is in Pakistan's interest, says Imran Khan
- Headlines December 9, 2018 Kedarnath movie banned in 7 Uttarakhand districts
- Events December 12, 2018 Planet Abled Barrier Free Skiing Adventure 2019
- Employment December 11, 2018 Learn sign language over a cuppa at this Jodhpur cafe
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Army jawan arrested in connection with Bulandshahr cop murder
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 Understanding Auditory Processing Disorder (APD)
- Get-hooked December 8, 2018 What makes them Disability Heroes - World Disability Day Special
- Parasports December 11, 2018 Protest by Kerala para sportspersons to draw attention to struggle for facilities, funding
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Top world celebs at Isha Ambani’s pre-wedding festivities
- Accessibility December 6, 2018 Kerala government reserves 4% jobs for disabled people in government-aided educational institutions
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked December 10, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked December 8, 2018