Narayan Ramakrishna uses his feet to paint the most amazing canvases
November 15, 2017
Narayan Ramakrishna is regarded as among India's most promising artists today. What makes him especially remarkable is not just his talent as a painter, but the fact that he uses his feet to create such remarkable work.
Narayan got interested in art when he was 12 years old. "My younger sister Vanaja would get art work home and I liked what she drew and coloured. I felt that I too would like to color", he says.
His disability made it hard for him to use his limbs. So he started by holding things with the big toe and the second toe on his right foot. He also had a special seat made, with back support. "Due to my disability, I could not go to school. I was home taught by my parents and sisters", he says.
When he was 18, he joined a local art association which helps artist who paint with their mouth or foot to support themselves and lead an independent life. The association holds exhibitions on behalf of the artist and transfers sale proceeds to the artist.
"I had the full support of my family to continue doing what I do best and they would get me colours, papers of different kinds, books of famous artists so that I could learn from their works", says Narayan. He loves to paint nature and landscapes, especially trees.
Narayan says that people in India need to become sensitive to the needs of the disabled. "We do not have access to public transport, and nor are public places disabled friendly. It was only due to family support that I have been able to achieve so much", he says.
He says that families should not give up hope and give full support and encouragement to the disabled so a person gives his best.
Watch in Sign Language
- Kerala youth gets electric wheelchair from donor, but stuck indoors due to poor road conditions
August 22, 2019
- 14 year old Joel Biju has overcome a disability to finish over 1000 paintings in one year
August 21, 2019
- Ministry advisory on accessible public transport raises more questions
August 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines August 16, 2019 From 29 October, women can travel for free on Delhi buses
- Events August 22, 2019 Creative Pattern Workshop For Individuals with Special Needs
- Events August 22, 2019 Ganesha Making Workshop
- Events August 21, 2019 Ageing with Grace Workshop for Seniors
- Headlines August 21, 2019 Chandrayaan-2 enters Moon’s orbit
- Headlines August 22, 2019 Ex-minister P Chidambaram arrested
- Get-Hooked August 19, 2019 Hydrotherapist Amal Upadhyay is convinced about the healing powers of swimming
- Headlines August 17, 2019 Karnataka boy felicitated for bravery
- Get-Hooked August 19, 2019 "Love can be limitless if people recognise, accept and celebrate a person with a difference" - Jasmina Khanna
- Technology August 20, 2019 New robots to assist sportspersons at 2020 Tokyo Paralympics
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News