Narayan Ramakrishna uses his feet to paint the most amazing canvases
Narayan Ramakrishna is regarded as among India's most promising artists today. What makes him especially remarkable is not just his talent as a painter, but the fact that he uses his feet to create such remarkable work.
Narayan got interested in art when he was 12 years old. "My younger sister Vanaja would get art work home and I liked what she drew and coloured. I felt that I too would like to color", he says.
His disability made it hard for him to use his limbs. So he started by holding things with the big toe and the second toe on his right foot. He also had a special seat made, with back support. "Due to my disability, I could not go to school. I was home taught by my parents and sisters", he says.
When he was 18, he joined a local art association which helps artist who paint with their mouth or foot to support themselves and lead an independent life. The association holds exhibitions on behalf of the artist and transfers sale proceeds to the artist.
"I had the full support of my family to continue doing what I do best and they would get me colours, papers of different kinds, books of famous artists so that I could learn from their works", says Narayan. He loves to paint nature and landscapes, especially trees.
Narayan says that people in India need to become sensitive to the needs of the disabled. "We do not have access to public transport, and nor are public places disabled friendly. It was only due to family support that I have been able to achieve so much", he says.
He says that families should not give up hope and give full support and encouragement to the disabled so a person gives his best.
Watch in Sign Language
- Wheelchair artists in Kerala to stage Chaya, 1st of its kind theatre performance
January 22, 2019
- Workshop on children with ADHD, know more
January 22, 2019
- Some things to not tell a disabled person when you meet online
January 21, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility January 16, 2019 Blind Faith Upgrade kit just the 1st step towards promoting accessibility, says Isobar India
- Headlines January 17, 2019 Tributes for Dhoni after great show against Australia
- Headlines January 20, 2019 Amazon Great Indian Sale is here
- Headlines January 15, 2019 Gujarat becomes first state to implement 10% reservation for general category
- Headlines January 21, 2019 Kangana threatens to destroy Karni Sena over objections to film
- Parasports January 20, 2019 Samarthanam Trust, Pinkathon to.organize ultra-marathon for visually impaired people
- Get-hooked January 15, 2019 Jisha’s journey with art is a story of determination, passion
- Get-hooked January 20, 2019 Understanding Spinal Muscular Atrophy
- Events January 20, 2019 Trinayani's 18th Inclusive Monthly Meetup
- Get-hooked January 19, 2019 Fed up of delays in updated guidelines for disabled MBBS aspirants, activists approach minister
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked January 21, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News