Narayan Ramakrishna uses his feet to paint the most amazing canvases
November 15, 2017
Narayan Ramakrishna is regarded as among India's most promising artists today. What makes him especially remarkable is not just his talent as a painter, but the fact that he uses his feet to create such remarkable work.
Narayan got interested in art when he was 12 years old. "My younger sister Vanaja would get art work home and I liked what she drew and coloured. I felt that I too would like to color", he says.
His disability made it hard for him to use his limbs. So he started by holding things with the big toe and the second toe on his right foot. He also had a special seat made, with back support. "Due to my disability, I could not go to school. I was home taught by my parents and sisters", he says.
When he was 18, he joined a local art association which helps artist who paint with their mouth or foot to support themselves and lead an independent life. The association holds exhibitions on behalf of the artist and transfers sale proceeds to the artist.
"I had the full support of my family to continue doing what I do best and they would get me colours, papers of different kinds, books of famous artists so that I could learn from their works", says Narayan. He loves to paint nature and landscapes, especially trees.
Narayan says that people in India need to become sensitive to the needs of the disabled. "We do not have access to public transport, and nor are public places disabled friendly. It was only due to family support that I have been able to achieve so much", he says.
He says that families should not give up hope and give full support and encouragement to the disabled so a person gives his best.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 20, 2019 Mamata's nephew sends defamation notice to PM
- Headlines May 23, 2019 NaMo all the way, BJP-led alliance returns with thumping majority
- Get-hooked May 22, 2019 Video of physically disabled Zomato delivery boy wins hearts on social media
- Employment May 19, 2019 At Indore workshop on workplace inclusion, corporates share learnings & inspiring stories
- Headlines May 25, 2019 Video of candidate crying over 5 votes goes viral
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 Disability rights activist Prajith Jaipal to hit the road to promote awareness
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 'We have only one life, so live it to the fullest' - My Take by Krishnakumar PS
- Accessibility May 20, 2019 Goa election officials, NGOs come together to conduct accessibility audit of polling booths
- Headlines May 25, 2019 Bollywood actors hail PM Modi for historic win
- Headlines May 22, 2019 PM Modi pays tribute to Rajiv Gandhi on death anniversary
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News