See me an equal, not disabled, says first Miss Wheelchair World
November 6, 2017
23-year-old Aleksandra Chichikova, a student from Belarus, has been crowned the first ever Miss Wheelchair World.
Aleksandra won the first international beauty pageant for wheelchair users, which was held in Warsaw, Poland.
She took first prize ahead of runner-up Lebohang Monyatsi, from South Africa, and Adrianna Zawadzinska, from Poland, who came in third place.
The contest was organised by the Only One Foundation, which was set up by two disabled mothers who want to break down barriers that limit disabled people.
Aleksandra says that her life is an example of how a person can be successful, strong, beautiful and attractive regardless of how they move.
The contestants performed elaborate dance routines, some by moving their wheelchairs on their own and others with the help of assistants. They also talked about their personal experiences, including the challenges of life in a wheelchair.
Categories in the beauty pageant included Miss Individuality, Miss Smile and Miss Personality.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines August 13, 2019 Cold Eid celebrations in Srinagar as restrictions return
- Accessibility August 20, 2019 Ministry advisory on accessible public transport raises more questions
- Headlines August 19, 2019 Kerala nun seeks justice from the Vatican
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Parenting Corner- Motivating children
- Headlines August 14, 2019 Kerala man Noushad wins hearts in flood-hit Kerala
- Headlines August 20, 2019 Primary schools reopen in J&K
- Technology August 18, 2019 Tech startup Wavio develops device that will help deaf people see sounds
- Get-Hooked August 20, 2019 Inclusive Spotfix initiative to beauty Bangalore roads
- Get-Hooked August 14, 2019 Inclusive art festival aims to uncover new opportunities for Bengaluru residents
- Events August 14, 2019 Unity through Performing Arts
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-Hooked August 20, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News