Rajalakshmi from India wins Popularity Award at Miss Wheelchair World contest
October 11, 2017
India's Dr Rajalakshmi won the 'Miss Popularity Award' at the Miss Wheelchair World 2017 contest in Warsaw in Poland.
Rajalakshmi, who is from Bengaluru, is a dentist by profession. She was forced to use a wheelchair after she met with a road accident 10 years back.
The accident led to a spinal cord injury forcing her to be wheelchair-bound for life.
The contest was organized by a Polish organisation for the first time to change the social perceptions about the disabled.
Around 24 contestants took part in the pagaent. The event was organised by 'The Only One Foundation', which was founded by two disabled women.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked March 19, 2019 Child prodigy Joshua Beckford proves disability need not be a roadblock to your dreams
- Get-hooked March 22, 2019 National award winner, dancer & sportsman, all-rounder Akshay inspires youngsters
- Get-hooked March 25, 2019 Tough, but not impossible. - Guest columnist Karthik Chandrashekhar talks about his journey overcoming disability
- Accessibility March 20, 2019 Chennai tourist attraction, Elliot’s beach, set to become wheelchair accessible
- Headlines March 25, 2019 Death toll from Cyclone Idai in South Africa rises
- Headlines March 22, 2019 BJP releases first list of candidates for elections
- Events March 19, 2019 Annual Seminar on Inclusion & Accessibility of Deaf
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News