Neha, the Computer Didi's classes are a big hit!
November 14, 2017
Neha Vardan, who lives in Ludhiana, Punjab, is better known as 'Computer Didi' to the children who come to her for training in basic computer skills.
Neha was forced to drop out of school as her walking aid was regarded as too noisy
This 18-year-old, who has cerebral palsy, teaches data entry, Paint and Excel programs to students at a centre run by the NGO Ashirwad for children with cerebral palsy and other disabilities. She teaches 25 students at the centre.
"Since I started teaching them, my sense of self-confidence has grown and I feel very capable and independent", says Neha. She always wanted to study but was forced to drop out of school when she was in Class 5.
"The school I had been going to from childhood suddenly told me to leave because they said that the rolator or walker I use for assistance was too noisy and disturbing to teachers and other students"
The experience shattered her confidence and left her demoralized.
"When she came to the Ashirwad centre four years ago, she had low self esteem and tended to be rather negative in her thinking", says Reshma, a counsellor. At the centre, she resumed her education and completed class 8. She is currently in her last two years of schooling and hopes to join college and study computers. This young girl is aiming high and has lots of plans for the future!
"I want to start a centre where I will teach computer skills to children with disabilities, as well as an NGO where I can give them support with education and skills training for jobs"
Neha loves to paint, especially on fabrics. She also loves music and does not need much convincing to show her skills on stage!Read about the other children featured in our Children Who Inspire series:
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility April 12, 2019 Worthy of international medals, but "mentally unsound" to vote – Why this election will elude Asha Kiran home residents
- Headlines April 15, 2019 World’s largest plane takes off successfully
- Headlines April 13, 2019 Black Hole image creator is a media star
- Events April 18, 2019 EasterFest
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 People with disabilities must consider issues not propaganda - Dr B S Patil & Monika S Kshatriya
- Events April 18, 2019 Planet Autism Art Exhibition
- Events April 18, 2019 Special Summer Camp
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Jallianwalah Bagh massacre, people pay tribute
- Technology April 18, 2019 #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Expectations from the next government of India - My Take by Jasmina Khanna
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News