Neha, the Computer Didi's classes are a big hit!
Neha Vardan, who lives in Ludhiana, Punjab, is better known as 'Computer Didi' to the children who come to her for training in basic computer skills.
Neha was forced to drop out of school as her walking aid was regarded as too noisy
This 18-year-old, who has cerebral palsy, teaches data entry, Paint and Excel programs to students at a centre run by the NGO Ashirwad for children with cerebral palsy and other disabilities. She teaches 25 students at the centre.
"Since I started teaching them, my sense of self-confidence has grown and I feel very capable and independent", says Neha. She always wanted to study but was forced to drop out of school when she was in Class 5.
"The school I had been going to from childhood suddenly told me to leave because they said that the rolator or walker I use for assistance was too noisy and disturbing to teachers and other students"
The experience shattered her confidence and left her demoralized.
"When she came to the Ashirwad centre four years ago, she had low self esteem and tended to be rather negative in her thinking", says Reshma, a counsellor. At the centre, she resumed her education and completed class 8. She is currently in her last two years of schooling and hopes to join college and study computers. This young girl is aiming high and has lots of plans for the future!
"I want to start a centre where I will teach computer skills to children with disabilities, as well as an NGO where I can give them support with education and skills training for jobs"
Neha loves to paint, especially on fabrics. She also loves music and does not need much convincing to show her skills on stage!Read about the other children featured in our Children Who Inspire series:
Watch in Sign Language
- Check out these fun outings for children with autism
October 21, 2018
- Indian Sign Language gets to wider audience, thanks to GiftAbled Foundation
October 21, 2018
- Inclusion should begin early to build greater understanding & awareness, say experts
October 21, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked October 21, 2018 Indian Sign Language gets to wider audience, thanks to GiftAbled Foundation
- Headlines October 21, 2018 Protests in Sabarimala continues on fourth day
- Parasports October 14, 2018 India win Blind Cricket Tri Series final, beat Sri Lanka by 10 wickets
- Headlines October 21, 2018 Amitabh Bachchan to repay loan worth ₹5.5 crore for 850 farmers
- Get-hooked October 16, 2018 An open letter to Goa Governor, Mridula Sinha - My Take by Monika Kshatriya
- Get-hooked October 17, 2018 Tips to handle noise sensitivity in children with autism
- Accessibility October 14, 2018 This disabled girl from Kerala is fighting roadblocks to get a driver’s license
- Get-hooked October 21, 2018 Check out these fun outings for children with autism
- Parasports October 14, 2018 India finish with 72 medals in Asian Para Games, record best ever performance
- Headlines October 17, 2018 Congress loses majority in Goa as 2 MLAs join BJP
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked October 21, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News