Meet Akash, the musical genius who is amazing on stage
On 14 November India celebrates its future - our children. Here at NewzHook, we are celebrating them right through the month with profiles of children who remind us how special and unique they are. And how with the right support and encouragement, they can shine brightly.
Just 10 years old, Akash is always bursting with questions and quick to sing a song. He is so musically gifted that he has to hear a song just once to learn the lyrics.
Akash suffered from a speech disorder characteristic of autism
Its a remarkable ability in any child and its even more so in the case of Akash, given that he had ecolalia or repetitive speech, which is a typical feature of autism. He was diagnosed with autism fairly early, when he was less than two years old.
"I was devastated when I got the news", says his mother K Sri Bindu. "I even thought of doing something drastic like commit suicide but I had an older daughter and thankfully good sense and reason prevailed. "
Akash underwent speech therapy until he was six years old, when he started speaking. Today he is in Class 5 and attends an inclusive government school. He is a popular child, with many friends, and does not hesitate to take to the stage to show his musical skills. He takes lessons in Carnatic music and is also learning to play the keyboard.
"When I see him today, my heart is filled with pride". He is so curious about the world around him and always wants to know what is going on" - Bindu, Akash's mother
Akash also has a great sense of direction and knows the route to different cities, although he has never traveled outside Coimbatore.
"He knows how one can get to Chennai from Coimbatore, even though we have never been there", says Bindu. "And I know only one way to get to our home in Coimbatore, but Akash knows of alternative routes and guides me when there is a traffic jam", she laughs.
Akash shares a close bond with his older sister
Akash is very close to his older sister and cannot bear to be parted from her. He is also very punctual and wants things to follow a schedule. So if his sister is not back home from college at 4.30 PM as expected, he starts worrying.
"There is something very special about him", says Akila Vaidyanathan, founder-director of AMAZE Charitable Trust, which runs a centre for children with autism in Coimbatore. Akash spends a few hours here everyday after school.
"Compared to other children on the spectrum, he is very curious. He always wants to know the reason when something does not happen according to schedule, or why the menu has changed, etc. Given that he came to the centre five years ago knowing just one word, it is lovely to see this outgoing, self assured and confident child today" - Akila Vaidyanathan, AMAZE
As for Akash, he has just one route in mind for his future. To travel to the United States and work there!Read about the other children in the Children Who Inspire series:
Watch in Sign Language
- This Bengaluru school is empowering women with disabilities for the job market
December 18, 2018
- How a trek led to the start of a larger journey - My Take by P Devendra, Founder, Nayan Foundation
December 18, 2018
- My life is disabled by my environment - Guest column by Diethono Nakhro, disability rights activist
December 17, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Praangan is meeting educational needs of children with disorders
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Some benefits of yoga for children with autism
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Diabetes-related eye diseases is the leading cause of blindness in India, says study
- Parasports December 13, 2018 Wheelchair kabaddi set to make its presence felt in India
- Headlines December 18, 2018 Cyclone hits Andhra Pradesh causing rains, landslides
- Get-hooked December 15, 2018 Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
- Events December 12, 2018 Planet Abled Barrier Free Skiing Adventure 2019
- Education December 14, 2018 Top medical institute in Chandigarh under scanner for discriminating against disabled candidates
- Headlines December 16, 2018 Three terrorists & seven civilians killed at encounter in Jammu & Kashmir
- Headlines December 13, 2018 Congress to form government in MP with Mayawati’s support
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked December 14, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018