No challenge puts off Sumanth, India's 1st cerebral palsy graduate from IIM
November 14, 2017
Sumanth K V is an Operations Analyst with Flipkart and is based in Bengaluru. He is the first person with cerebral palsy in India to graduate from the Indian Institute of Management.
"I went to the Spastics Society of India until I was about six years old and after that got integrated into a mainstream school. I received a lot of support and encouragement from my parents and extended family, which was of great help", says Sumanth.
Sumanth was determined to study at IIM and succeeded at the Common Aptitude Test (CAT) at the fourth attempt. He went on to do his degree from IIM Indore. He says that his motto is to never back down in the face of a challenge.
"People usually say you cannot do this and that because of your disability but I never compromise on my ambitions. It pushes me to try harder", says Sumanth.
Sumanth takes care of reimbursements and incentives at Flipkart and has worked earlier in Cadbury's and Thomson Reuters.
Sumanth is also an avid mountaineer and has scaled the Dayara Bugyal pass in the Himalayas, which is 12,800 feet above sea level. He loves to travel and has visited many countries, including Russia and Hong Kong.
Sumanth is also an avid reader and also listens to a lot of music by Kishore Kumar and Shankar Mahadevan.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports June 20, 2019 Sonakshi Sinha likely to play the part of Paralympian Deepa Malik
- Get-hooked June 23, 2019 Best friends Mary Vincy & Mary Jiya shares their success mantras
- Get-hooked June 23, 2019 Making a difference – Quick Tips for budding social entrepreneurs
- Get-hooked June 20, 2019 Nandavanam centre is changing lives of disabled kids with a blend of tradition & compassion
- Education June 19, 2019 Parents, special educators group files RTI into status of inclusive education in Kerala
- Get-hooked June 19, 2019 At this Chennai grocery shop, people with autism show their skills at customer service
- Parasports June 19, 2019 Tamil Nadu set to rock the National Wheelchair Basketball Championship
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 Driving change in attitudes towards disability in Jammu-Kashmir - My Take by Dildar Ahmad Shapoo
- Get-hooked June 23, 2019 Understanding Deafblindness
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Finance Minister to present budget on 5 July
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News