Hannah brings her gospel brilliance to her YouTube channel
Just 14 years old, Hannah Alice Simon is already quite a YouTube star. This Class 8 student from Ernakulum in Kerala writes and composes religious songs and has uploaded them on her own YouTube channel.
Hannah was born blind but has not let that come in the way of trying any activity in school or outside. "I have always gone to a mainstream school", says Hannah. She felt left out during games period as she could not take part in races but her parents encouraged her by helping her to play badminton or by holding her hand as she ran on the school grounds.
"It is tough to watch your child face barriers but we wanted her to attend a mainstream school from the start because there are no special schools in this town after Class 8 and she would have found it hard to cope when she was older" - Simon Matthew, Hannah's father
However, at first no school would give her a seat.
"There is a lot of religious stigma attached to disabled children and after much difficulty we found a school where she could develop her writing skills and a skill for music", says Simon. Now there is no looking back for this determined child. She listens to stories on the Internet to improve her English, and wants to upload more songs on her YouTube channel.
Hannah's parents say they encourage her to do whatever she can to the best of her ability. She skates, has an orange belt in karate, swims and cycles.
"Disabled kids can do things other kids can but in a different way. As parents we have to support them" - Simon Matthew, Hannah's father
No wonder Hannah's voice rings with such confidence when she talks about her future plans.
"I have big dreams. I want to win a scholarship to the United States or Europe to do research in science and pursue western music. I also want to compose more songs for God and inspire people.
Hannah also plans to become a motivational speaker and counselor for stressed out teens. There is no doubt that Hannah has all the determination needed to achieve these dreams.
Read about the others featured in the series - Children Who Inspire
Watch in Sign Language
- Expert cook & entrepreneur - Deeja juggles roles with ease
February 20, 2019
- Know how Serotonin affects your mental health
February 19, 2019
- Here is how caregivers can avoid being burned out
February 19, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 19, 2019 Infosys Foundation announces Rs 10 lakh to families of martyrs of Pulwama attack
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Kashmir attack - Pakistan under pressure to end support to terror groups
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Help pours in for families of slain CRPF soldiers
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 #LovePossible - What happened when Satendra Singh met his Paro
- Parasports February 19, 2019 "After playing for 15 years, I am getting recognition now" - My Take by blind chess champ Kishan Gangolli
- Accessibility February 17, 2019 Accessible parking still remains distant dream for people with disabilities
- Events February 15, 2019 Lawn Tennis for Visually Impaired
- Accessibility February 20, 2019 Kerala's disability rights groups gear up to challenge unjust road transport authorities
- Events February 14, 2019 Medical Camp - Children with Disability & Mental Health Problems
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 9, 2019
Get-hooked February 7, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News