Hannah brings her gospel brilliance to her YouTube channel
November 16, 2017
Just 14 years old, Hannah Alice Simon is already quite a YouTube star. This Class 8 student from Ernakulum in Kerala writes and composes religious songs and has uploaded them on her own YouTube channel.
Hannah was born blind but has not let that come in the way of trying any activity in school or outside. "I have always gone to a mainstream school", says Hannah. She felt left out during games period as she could not take part in races but her parents encouraged her by helping her to play badminton or by holding her hand as she ran on the school grounds.
"It is tough to watch your child face barriers but we wanted her to attend a mainstream school from the start because there are no special schools in this town after Class 8 and she would have found it hard to cope when she was older" - Simon Matthew, Hannah's father
However, at first no school would give her a seat.
"There is a lot of religious stigma attached to disabled children and after much difficulty we found a school where she could develop her writing skills and a skill for music", says Simon. Now there is no looking back for this determined child. She listens to stories on the Internet to improve her English, and wants to upload more songs on her YouTube channel.
Hannah's parents say they encourage her to do whatever she can to the best of her ability. She skates, has an orange belt in karate, swims and cycles.
"Disabled kids can do things other kids can but in a different way. As parents we have to support them" - Simon Matthew, Hannah's father
No wonder Hannah's voice rings with such confidence when she talks about her future plans.
"I have big dreams. I want to win a scholarship to the United States or Europe to do research in science and pursue western music. I also want to compose more songs for God and inspire people.
Hannah also plans to become a motivational speaker and counselor for stressed out teens. There is no doubt that Hannah has all the determination needed to achieve these dreams.
Read about the others featured in the series - Children Who Inspire
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events April 15, 2019 Accessible Bowling
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 Tips to manage learning disabilities in adults
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Inclusive Bowling event in Pune is the perfect weekend treat
- Accessibility April 14, 2019 Accessibility issues reported from across India on first phase of voting
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 Voter Helpline in ISL aims to enable India's deaf community to make an informed choice in this election
- Events April 18, 2019 Special Summer Camp
- Events April 18, 2019 EasterFest
- Get-hooked April 12, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Events April 15, 2019 Tandem Challenge
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Notre Dame cathedral in Paris catches fire
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News