This deaf student does not let impairment push him out of the picture
November 25, 2017
Aamir Ali Lulla is a junior college student of commerce at TEACH - Training and Educational Centre for the Hearing Impaired in Mumbai. Aamir, who is deaf, wants to pursue an MBA in Finance and secure a job in a good organisation.
Lack of sign language instruction pushes deaf students out of higher education
Initially Aamir faced difficulty in studies as he was not very good at understanding and remembering lengthy concepts and chapters. He found college education a big challenge as the syllabus was completely different from what he had studied in school. But he says he was determined not to let this stop him from pursuing his dreams.
Watch 10 Children who Inspire on NewzHook
"I did not give up", says Aamir. "I tried regularly, and with a lot of reading developed a knack for the subjects. With continuous efforts and assistance from my teachers, I have become better at understanding and remembering chapters and concepts. I am doing better now."
Aamir says he gets upset when people around him, especially neighbours, don't understand sign language.
"Not everyone is patient enough to take extra effort to understand what I say and communicate with me"
To overcome this problem, he makes sure he communicates slowly and repeats things till people understand. "Teachers have helped me to understand that some people are good and make the effort to understand us. I have become more accepting and patient."
He also feels that things are getting better as people have become more aware and helpful. He firmly belives that it is important for the deaf to communicate with everyone.
Aamir loves photography, and especially enjoys snapping pictures of nature, birds and flowers, etc. He takes times out for his passion after college and during weekends with friends.
He also loves movies, especially the Spiderman series, Harry Potter series, and movies about superheroes.
Click below for the stories in NewzHook's 10 Children who Inspire series
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 10, 2019 Film by Diversity Dialogues hopes to trigger mindful conversations about workplace mental health
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Supreme Court orders release of arrested journalist
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Nominations for 2019 NCPEDP-Mphasis Universal Design Awards are open
- Accessibility June 11, 2019 A warrior in the cause of digital accessibility - My Take by Sai Bhagat
- Accessibility June 17, 2019 Tyre maker Goodyear partners with NAB to conduct road safety training in Delhi for blind people
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Some tips to protect disabled children from bullying
- Get-hooked June 11, 2019 Dark Pheonix brings alive the magic of Stan Lee's superheroes yet again
- Education June 16, 2019 Delhi University clarifies rules regarding disabled certificate validity for admissions
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 Delhi government failure to implement key RPWD Act provision sign of larger apathy
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News