This deaf student does not let impairment push him out of the picture
Aamir Ali Lulla is a junior college student of commerce at TEACH - Training and Educational Centre for the Hearing Impaired in Mumbai. Aamir, who is deaf, wants to pursue an MBA in Finance and secure a job in a good organisation.
Lack of sign language instruction pushes deaf students out of higher education
Initially Aamir faced difficulty in studies as he was not very good at understanding and remembering lengthy concepts and chapters. He found college education a big challenge as the syllabus was completely different from what he had studied in school. But he says he was determined not to let this stop him from pursuing his dreams.
Watch 10 Children who Inspire on NewzHook
"I did not give up", says Aamir. "I tried regularly, and with a lot of reading developed a knack for the subjects. With continuous efforts and assistance from my teachers, I have become better at understanding and remembering chapters and concepts. I am doing better now."
Aamir says he gets upset when people around him, especially neighbours, don’t understand sign language.
"Not everyone is patient enough to take extra effort to understand what I say and communicate with me"
To overcome this problem, he makes sure he communicates slowly and repeats things till people understand. "Teachers have helped me to understand that some people are good and make the effort to understand us. I have become more accepting and patient."
He also feels that things are getting better as people have become more aware and helpful. He firmly belives that it is important for the deaf to communicate with everyone.
Aamir loves photography, and especially enjoys snapping pictures of nature, birds and flowers, etc. He takes times out for his passion after college and during weekends with friends.
He also loves movies, especially the Spiderman series, Harry Potter series, and movies about superheroes.
Click below for the stories in NewzHook's 10 Children who Inspire series
Watch in Sign Language
- Check out these fun outings for children with autism
October 21, 2018
- Indian Sign Language gets to wider audience, thanks to GiftAbled Foundation
October 21, 2018
- Inclusion should begin early to build greater understanding & awareness, say experts
October 21, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines October 17, 2018 Allahabad in Uttar Pradesh will now be known as Prayagraj
- Accessibility October 14, 2018 Savlon's new Braille enabled pack gets a big thumbs up. Will other brands follow?
- Parasports October 14, 2018 India finish with 72 medals in Asian Para Games, record best ever performance
- Get-hooked October 14, 2018 Visually impaired girls perfomed garba on song written by Prime Minister Narendra Modi
- Technology October 17, 2018 Regional language dyslexia screening tool, DALI, now available as an app
- Parasports October 21, 2018 Amputees Vinod Rawat & Ashok Munne show their mettle in world's highest cross-country rally
- Get-hooked October 15, 2018 Supreme Court raps Haryana government for denying disabled students' MBBS admission
- Headlines October 21, 2018 Bollywood celebrity manager accused in #MeToo movement attempts suicide
- Headlines October 18, 2018 #MeToo impact: Union Minister M J Akbar resigns over complaints of sexual harassment
- Get-hooked October 19, 2018 This Bengaluru NGO looks to nature to improve the wellbeing of disabled kids
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News