This deaf student does not let impairment push him out of the picture
November 25, 2017
Aamir Ali Lulla is a junior college student of commerce at TEACH - Training and Educational Centre for the Hearing Impaired in Mumbai. Aamir, who is deaf, wants to pursue an MBA in Finance and secure a job in a good organisation.
Lack of sign language instruction pushes deaf students out of higher education
Initially Aamir faced difficulty in studies as he was not very good at understanding and remembering lengthy concepts and chapters. He found college education a big challenge as the syllabus was completely different from what he had studied in school. But he says he was determined not to let this stop him from pursuing his dreams.
Watch 10 Children who Inspire on NewzHook
"I did not give up", says Aamir. "I tried regularly, and with a lot of reading developed a knack for the subjects. With continuous efforts and assistance from my teachers, I have become better at understanding and remembering chapters and concepts. I am doing better now."
Aamir says he gets upset when people around him, especially neighbours, don't understand sign language.
"Not everyone is patient enough to take extra effort to understand what I say and communicate with me"
To overcome this problem, he makes sure he communicates slowly and repeats things till people understand. "Teachers have helped me to understand that some people are good and make the effort to understand us. I have become more accepting and patient."
He also feels that things are getting better as people have become more aware and helpful. He firmly belives that it is important for the deaf to communicate with everyone.
Aamir loves photography, and especially enjoys snapping pictures of nature, birds and flowers, etc. He takes times out for his passion after college and during weekends with friends.
He also loves movies, especially the Spiderman series, Harry Potter series, and movies about superheroes.
Click below for the stories in NewzHook's 10 Children who Inspire series
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility April 14, 2019 Accessibility issues reported from across India on first phase of voting
- Headlines April 13, 2019 SC to hear Modi biopic case on 15 April
- Get-hooked April 17, 2019 Karnataka candidate Ramanjinappa has an inclusive mission
- Events April 18, 2019 Special Summer Camp
- Get-hooked April 15, 2019 What Good Are We? - Guest column by Arun Dua
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Voting in second phase of elections today
- Events April 18, 2019 Climb With ABBF
- Headlines April 15, 2019 IPL 2019 RCB wins 1st match
- Events April 15, 2019 NALS Adventure Camp
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 #AutismPower - Mumbai's Cafe Arpan is brewing a change, along with great coffee
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News