Shehzeen dares to dream big, wants to educate deaf kids from poor families
Shehzeen Shaikh is a first-year junior college student of commerce at the Training and Educational Centre for the Hearing Impaired (TEACH) in Kalina, Mumbai. She has big dreams of giving back to young kids, who like her, are deaf.
"I wish to complete my education, graduation and do B.Ed. course as I want to become a teacher and help children like me take up higher education and become big in their lives."
Shehzeen has very clear ideas about how she wants to help deaf children based on her own experiences.
Understanding English is a big task for me as I did not have English as subject or as a language in school. I knew only Hindi but in higher education the entire syllabus is in English so at first, I did not understand what was being taught. I could have done much better, if I had studied English in school.
Shehzeen gradually overcame her problems through sheer hard work. "It was not easy and I started with alphabets, words, sentences and gradually moved to reading and writing. With hard work, perseverance, a lot of practice and help from teachers, family and friends, I can now read, write and study in English."
She says that people must try to communicate and understand the deaf. She believes that everyone must know basic sign language and be patient and polite with the deaf.
In her spare time, Shehzeen loves meeting people, and visiting her home in Pune. She is a big fan of Hindi films and especially movies that star Shraddha Kapoor, Hrithik Roshan, and Shahrukh Khan.
Read the stories of the others featured in the Children Who Inspire series
Watch in Sign Language
- Expert cook & entrepreneur - Deeja juggles roles with ease
February 20, 2019
- Know how Serotonin affects your mental health
February 19, 2019
- Here is how caregivers can avoid being burned out
February 19, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Understanding Rett Syndrome
- Headlines February 14, 2019 IndiGo cancels 30 flights, more to follow
- Parasports February 17, 2019 Players prep for the National wheelchair cricket match to begin this March
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Superstar Rajinikanth will not contest Lok Sabha Elections
- Headlines February 14, 2019 Salman Khan’s ‘Bharat’ to have a multi-lingual release
- Parasports February 16, 2019 Inclusive tandem-cycling expedition #M2k2019 is back, this time even more scenic & challenging
- Events February 14, 2019 Ghazal Nite
- Parasports February 18, 2019 Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
- Headlines February 20, 2019 Two jets crash ahead of Bengaluru Aero India event, one pilot dies
- Parasports February 15, 2019 First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 20, 2019
Get-hooked February 9, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News