Deepika's karate moves will literally floor you!
November 14, 2017
19-year-old M Deepika Nagarajan can play the keyboard like a professional musician and is a blue belt in karate.
Her parents realized that Deepika had Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, ADHD, when she was less than two years old.
"Her vision was weak and speech was delayed", says mother Lakshmi. "Until Class 5, we enrolled her in a mainstream school, and later switched to a special school. Because she had some behaviour problems, mainstream schools would not accept her."
Deepika's karate skills have won her medals at state level events
Deepika started learning karate at the age of nine and is also very skilled at yoga. Her future plans are to finish school and pursue a college degree.
Her mother says that attitudes have to change towards children with special needs in India.
"Children with autism and ADHD face barriers at multiple levels in India. Many schools and centres are not willing to accept such children. We have to become more supportive" - Lakhsmi, Deepika's mother
Lakshmi says that there is a need to orient schools towards their needs, even create a special syllabus and a separate school board if necessary.
Read the others profiled in our Children Who Inspire series:
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events March 20, 2019 4th National Blind Football Tournament
- Get-hooked March 24, 2019 Amazon move to remove books spreading misinformation about autism gets a thumbs up
- Headlines March 23, 2019 Jet Airways pilots’ refuse to fly if salaries not cleared by 31 March
- Get-hooked March 23, 2019 Disabled people share uncomfortable encounters on social media with hash tag #AbledsAreWeird
- Events March 19, 2019 BGFI's session on STEM study - An Inclusive Avenue for the Blind
- Headlines March 21, 2019 Nirav Modi arrested in London
- Get-hooked March 23, 2019 Parenting Corner- Potty Training Children with Down syndrome
- Events March 20, 2019 Run 4 Autism Marathon- More details to come
- Headlines March 24, 2019 PM Modi wishes Imran Khan on Pakistan’s National Day
- Accessibility March 20, 2019 Global brand IKEA goes accessible, launches 3D printable furniture pieces
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News