Deepika's karate moves will literally floor you!
19-year-old M Deepika Nagarajan can play the keyboard like a professional musician and is a blue belt in karate.
Her parents realized that Deepika had Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, ADHD, when she was less than two years old.
"Her vision was weak and speech was delayed", says mother Lakshmi. "Until Class 5, we enrolled her in a mainstream school, and later switched to a special school. Because she had some behaviour problems, mainstream schools would not accept her."
Deepika's karate skills have won her medals at state level events
Deepika started learning karate at the age of nine and is also very skilled at yoga. Her future plans are to finish school and pursue a college degree.
Her mother says that attitudes have to change towards children with special needs in India.
"Children with autism and ADHD face barriers at multiple levels in India. Many schools and centres are not willing to accept such children. We have to become more supportive" - Lakhsmi, Deepika's mother
Lakshmi says that there is a need to orient schools towards their needs, even create a special syllabus and a separate school board if necessary.
Read the others profiled in our Children Who Inspire series:
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines January 16, 2019 India beats Australia by 6 wickets in second ODI
- Headlines January 19, 2019 Heavy fog disrupts flights, trains in Delhi
- Get-hooked January 15, 2019 Inclusion & music come together at this event in Delhi's Hans Raj College
- Events January 20, 2019 Cognitive Approach to Autism Management
- Get-hooked January 15, 2019 "I asked for my khukri & cut off my leg"- My Take by Ian Cardozo, 1st war disabled Indian soldier to lead a battalion
- Get-hooked January 17, 2019 Benefit Cosmetics' move to feature model with Down syndrome as ambassador gets a big thumbs up
- Headlines January 20, 2019 Amazon Great Indian Sale is here
- Get-hooked January 15, 2019 Jisha’s journey with art is a story of determination, passion
- Get-hooked January 21, 2019 Some things to not tell a disabled person when you meet online
- Headlines January 17, 2019 Jadavpur University Professor sacked for sexist remarks
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked January 18, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News