Deepika's karate moves will literally floor you!
November 14, 2017
19-year-old M Deepika Nagarajan can play the keyboard like a professional musician and is a blue belt in karate.
Her parents realized that Deepika had Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, ADHD, when she was less than two years old.
"Her vision was weak and speech was delayed", says mother Lakshmi. "Until Class 5, we enrolled her in a mainstream school, and later switched to a special school. Because she had some behaviour problems, mainstream schools would not accept her."
Deepika's karate skills have won her medals at state level events
Deepika started learning karate at the age of nine and is also very skilled at yoga. Her future plans are to finish school and pursue a college degree.
Her mother says that attitudes have to change towards children with special needs in India.
"Children with autism and ADHD face barriers at multiple levels in India. Many schools and centres are not willing to accept such children. We have to become more supportive" - Lakhsmi, Deepika's mother
Lakshmi says that there is a need to orient schools towards their needs, even create a special syllabus and a separate school board if necessary.
Read the others profiled in our Children Who Inspire series:
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 23, 2019 NaMo all the way, BJP-led alliance returns with thumping majority
- Headlines May 20, 2019 Exit polls predict comfortable win for BJP
- Get-hooked May 22, 2019 Experts claim music therapy helps enhance critical skills in children with autism
- Get-hooked May 22, 2019 Video of physically disabled Zomato delivery boy wins hearts on social media
- Headlines May 19, 2019 Seventh & final phase of voting in general elections today
- Get-hooked May 19, 2019 Understanding Chronic Pain
- Headlines May 25, 2019 Bollywood actors hail PM Modi for historic win
- Headlines May 22, 2019 PM Modi pays tribute to Rajiv Gandhi on death anniversary
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 #BeingMom - From anxiety to empowerment, the journey of Latha Venkatesan
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News