Chitrabhanu, the future Paralympics star!
At the age of 17, Chitrabhanu has notched up records comparable to that of a professional sportsman. He is a national award winner at swimming, ice skating and badminton events held by the Special Olympics Bharat.
"He is completely autistic", says mother Vandhana. "We found out when he was 2-3 years old. I realized that he was different and my suspicions were confirmed when we went in for diagnosis."
His parents soon realized that he had excellent stamina and put him in for sports.
"He never gets tired and can play and train for a long time. We put him in sports to reduce his hyperactivity levels. We found that he picked up any sport very quickly, and whatever he takes up, he excels at it" - Vandhana, Mother
Chitrabhanu goes to an inclusive school and is a verbal child with limited speech. His mother says they never let his disability discourage him or them. They plan to keep encouraging his passion for sports and at the same time, put him in for some vocational training. He is currently training under the Tamil Nadu director of the Special Olympics Bharat.
"We cannot dismiss a child just because he is non-verbal. As parents you must do your duty, and love and support the child and help him find the ability in his disability. One day he will discover it. I am not saying that there are no difficulties but one must have confidence in them" - Vandhana
Read about the others featured in our series, Children Who Inspire:
Watch in Sign Language
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
- Wheelchair etiquettes matter. Here is how to follow them.
February 17, 2019
- #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
February 16, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 14, 2019 Ghazal Nite
- Accessibility February 13, 2019 Medical Council of India lets down disabled medical aspirants yet again
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Rajasthan Royals will wear pink this IPL season
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Wheelchair etiquettes matter. Here is how to follow them.
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Actor Irrfan Khan is awaiting medical reports to start working
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Coming national election may be boycotted by Maharashtra's deaf community
- Events February 12, 2019 World Women's Day
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism in girls
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Kashmir attack - Pakistan under pressure to end support to terror groups
- Headlines February 15, 2019 India vs Australia - Update
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 17, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News