Special talking books for the blind in Tamil Nadu
Cognizant Foundation in Chennai has been training around 50 visually impaired students from Class 10 to 12 of schools under Rashtriya Madhyamik Shiksha Abhiyan on how to use the DAISY application in smartphones over the last two months.
The initiative has been organised with the support of Karna Vidya Foundation and WORTH (Workshop for Rehabilitation of Persons With Disabilities) Trust.
The Foundation with the support of Samsung India has configured smartphones to support DAISY textbooks and will distribute 265 customised mobile devices to 22 inclusive schools across Tamil Nadu.
The smartphones will be kept in the libraries of the schools and will be given to the blind students during study hours or on a need basis.
The DAISY (Digital Accessible Information SYstem) app allows a visually impaired reader to pause the audio track of the textbook, rewind and replay the track, to bookmark a page in the audio book, search for keywords, regulate the speed of the track and magnify the text in case of low vision.
The software also has the ability to add any new content or delete existing content in case there is any change in the syllabus.
In short, navigating a DAISY book is easy for any blind reader and also useful for children with locomotor disabilities and dyslexia.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Education October 20, 2018 Some ways to help kids with autism prepare for exams
- Headlines October 21, 2018 Protests in Sabarimala continues on fourth day
- Get-hooked October 22, 2018 What matters is how we run the race - Guest Column by Vineet Saraiwala, visually impaired marathoner
- Parasports October 17, 2018 Deepak Malik's century gives India lead against Sri Lanka in Blind Cricket Twenty20 series
- Parasports October 22, 2018 Mandvi Garg battled depression, vision loss to come back as a champion trekker
- Parasports October 15, 2018 Top sports brand Nike's move to sign up athlete with cerebral palsy hailed
- Headlines October 17, 2018 Animal lovers protest against decision to shoot down tigress Avni
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News