West Bengal project helps deaf children get admission in regular schools
Ayesha Khatoon from West Bengal is a 15-year-old deaf girl who studies in class 6 in a mainstream school.
Two years ago, she could hardly communicate with her parents and was not a part of any school.
Today, she is among 200 deaf kids who have got a chance to study in a regular school as part of a project run by Deaf Child Worldwide.
Deaf Child Worldwide is an international organisation, which has involved 720 children, 280 primary schools and 500 teachers in Kolkata, Hooghly and Jalpaiguri in its project.
The project provides communication and social skills, speech training to deaf children and primary school teachers are given training on deaf-friendly teaching methods.
The programme aims to improve the academic performance of the deaf children in regular schools by promoting inclusion both in schools and communities. It works with parents, teachers and students to help the deaf children understand their true abilities.
Watch in Sign Language
- Gujarat government launches important initiative towards early screening of learning disabilities
February 7, 2019
- Mumbai's Wilson College's certificate course in disability studies finds widespread support
February 5, 2019
- No clarity on final guidelines for medical entrance test, disabled aspirants still in the dark
January 30, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports February 17, 2019 Players prep for the National wheelchair cricket match to begin this March
- Parasports February 15, 2019 First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Help pours in for families of slain CRPF soldiers
- Parasports February 12, 2019 Indian disabled cricket team gets invite from Pakistan
- Accessibility February 12, 2019 Patients find centre stage in competencies aimed to develop disability-inclusive compassionate care
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Ticket prices reduced for India’s fastest train
- Events February 14, 2019 Free Eye Camp
- Events February 14, 2019 Walkathon for Mental Health Awareness
- Events February 14, 2019 Medical Camp - Children with Disability & Mental Health Problems
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Gambhir, other players react to savage attack on Delhi cricket selector
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News