West Bengal project helps deaf children get admission in regular schools
October 26, 2017
Ayesha Khatoon from West Bengal is a 15-year-old deaf girl who studies in class 6 in a mainstream school.
Two years ago, she could hardly communicate with her parents and was not a part of any school.
Today, she is among 200 deaf kids who have got a chance to study in a regular school as part of a project run by Deaf Child Worldwide.
Deaf Child Worldwide is an international organisation, which has involved 720 children, 280 primary schools and 500 teachers in Kolkata, Hooghly and Jalpaiguri in its project.
The project provides communication and social skills, speech training to deaf children and primary school teachers are given training on deaf-friendly teaching methods.
The programme aims to improve the academic performance of the deaf children in regular schools by promoting inclusion both in schools and communities. It works with parents, teachers and students to help the deaf children understand their true abilities.
Watch in Sign Language
- #ChangeMakers - An idol to many, Elizabeth Philip keeps inspiring through her relentless work
June 20, 2019
- Parents, special educators group files RTI into status of inclusive education in Kerala
June 19, 2019
- Delhi University clarifies rules regarding disabled certificate validity for admissions
June 16, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Amitabh Bachchan donates to families of Pulwama martyrs
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Pakistan under pressure ahead of India match
- Headlines June 19, 2019 6 jawans injured in terror strike in Pulwama
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Virat Kohli fastest to score 11,000 ODI runs
- Events June 17, 2019 Indian Freedom Struggle through a musical play
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Some tips to protect disabled children from bullying
- Events June 20, 2019 Workshop on Behaviour Therapy
- Parasports June 18, 2019 ‘Keep striving until you achieve your goals’- My take by Vysakh SR
- Get-hooked June 17, 2019 Does parenting change with changing eyesight? - Guest column by Vineet Saraiwala
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Parenting Corner- Food Aversion and Autism
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News