West Bengal project helps deaf children get admission in regular schools
Ayesha Khatoon from West Bengal is a 15-year-old deaf girl who studies in class 6 in a mainstream school.
Two years ago, she could hardly communicate with her parents and was not a part of any school.
Today, she is among 200 deaf kids who have got a chance to study in a regular school as part of a project run by Deaf Child Worldwide.
Deaf Child Worldwide is an international organisation, which has involved 720 children, 280 primary schools and 500 teachers in Kolkata, Hooghly and Jalpaiguri in its project.
The project provides communication and social skills, speech training to deaf children and primary school teachers are given training on deaf-friendly teaching methods.
The programme aims to improve the academic performance of the deaf children in regular schools by promoting inclusion both in schools and communities. It works with parents, teachers and students to help the deaf children understand their true abilities.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Virat gets booed by fans in Australia, 'not done' says former Aussie player
- Accessibility December 10, 2018 Fact check by disability advocacy group on voting day in Rajasthan throws up gaps in accessible election promises
- Get-hooked December 8, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 - Intellectual Disability
- Get-hooked December 9, 2018 Stay healthy & fit in a wheelchair. Here's how
- Headlines December 9, 2018 Kedarnath movie banned in 7 Uttarakhand districts
- Get-hooked December 7, 2018 A writing contest with disability as the theme. Know more
- Accessibility December 9, 2018 Disability rights leader Satendra Singh challenges move to close probe into harassment faced during train travel
- Headlines December 7, 2018 Section 144 extended in Sabarimala till 8 December
- Get-hooked December 11, 2018 New study highlights importance of building motor skills in kids with autism
- Accessibility December 7, 2018 Disability Heroes - Prajith Jaipal is out to create a new India, accessible & barrier-free
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News