Deaf movie review of Secret Superstar
A hearing perspective:
Secret Superstar is a Hindi musical drama film, featuring Zaira Wasim, Meher Vij and Aamir Khan in main roles.
The film is written and directed by Advait Chandan and produced by Aamir Khan and Kiran Rao.
The film introduces Insia Malik (Zaira Wasim) as a 15-year-old Muslim girl, who lives with her supportive yet submissive mother Najma Malik (Meher Vij), strict father Farookh Malik (Raj Arjun), younger brother Guddu (Kabir Sajid) and her grandmother in Vadodara.
The film shows how Insia dreams to be a singer and gets constant encouragement from her mother to follow her passion but faces restrictions from her conservative father.
An exciting journey unfolds when Insia and her close friend Chintan (Tirth Sharma) happen to cross paths with a music director Shakti Kumaarr (Aamir Khan).
Film explores innocence of teenage friendships or romance
Secret Superstar also looks at how celebrities are misunderstood by common public because of their negative media portrayals. It also touches upon domestic violence and its effects on children's minds. It tries to show how seeing her mother getting physically and emotionally abused by her father gives Insia the strength and courage to work towards her aim and improve her life.
Secret Superstar movie is a must-watch for Zaira Wasim's brilliant performance, Meher's touching emotional act, Aamir's small yet memorable work and Advait Chandan's confident directing debut. Appreciate all the soundtracks sung by Meghna Mishra, especially "Nachdi Phira" and "Meri Pyaari Ammi" are my favorites.
I’m going with four out of five stars.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines October 20, 2018 Sabrimalai temple priests continue to block women's entry into temple
- Get-hooked October 17, 2018 Tips to handle noise sensitivity in children with autism
- Headlines October 22, 2018 Amritsar train tragedy - Organisers go missing, police yet to identify accused
- Headlines October 16, 2018 Over 70 cases of Zika virus reported in Rajasthan
- Get-hooked October 16, 2018 An open letter to Goa Governor, Mridula Sinha - My Take by Monika Kshatriya
- Events October 17, 2018 NAB Presents Interactive Meeting with a Global Leader in Accessibility
- Events October 19, 2018 Knowledge sharing Open Session On Career Planning by BGFI
- Parasports October 22, 2018 Mandvi Garg battled depression, vision loss to come back as a champion trekker
- Education October 15, 2018 Relief for students with disabilities, CBSE exemptions to take effect from 2019
- Headlines October 17, 2018 Congress loses majority in Goa as 2 MLAs join BJP
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked October 17, 2018
Get-hooked October 19, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News