Deaf movie review of Secret Superstar
November 2, 2017
A hearing perspective:
Secret Superstar is a Hindi musical drama film, featuring Zaira Wasim, Meher Vij and Aamir Khan in main roles.
The film is written and directed by Advait Chandan and produced by Aamir Khan and Kiran Rao.
The film introduces Insia Malik (Zaira Wasim) as a 15-year-old Muslim girl, who lives with her supportive yet submissive mother Najma Malik (Meher Vij), strict father Farookh Malik (Raj Arjun), younger brother Guddu (Kabir Sajid) and her grandmother in Vadodara.
The film shows how Insia dreams to be a singer and gets constant encouragement from her mother to follow her passion but faces restrictions from her conservative father.
An exciting journey unfolds when Insia and her close friend Chintan (Tirth Sharma) happen to cross paths with a music director Shakti Kumaarr (Aamir Khan).
Film explores innocence of teenage friendships or romance
Secret Superstar also looks at how celebrities are misunderstood by common public because of their negative media portrayals. It also touches upon domestic violence and its effects on children's minds. It tries to show how seeing her mother getting physically and emotionally abused by her father gives Insia the strength and courage to work towards her aim and improve her life.
Secret Superstar movie is a must-watch for Zaira Wasim's brilliant performance, Meher's touching emotional act, Aamir's small yet memorable work and Advait Chandan's confident directing debut. Appreciate all the soundtracks sung by Meghna Mishra, especially "Nachdi Phira" and "Meri Pyaari Ammi" are my favorites.
I'm going with four out of five stars.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Some tips for people with disabilities to stay fit & healthy
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Pandya, Rahul fined for sexist comments on TV show
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Mulayam Singh Yadav, Mayawati share dais at Uttar Pradesh
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Jet Airways suspends all operations
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 "Court order should set a model for others with mental disabilities", says Bengal MBBS aspirant Tathagata Ghosh
- Headlines April 20, 2019 IPL 2019 - Bengaluru beat Kolkata
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Road to getting disability certificates filled with barriers for hemophilia patients
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Bethany Society Shillong are champs at the 4th national blind football tournament
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Inclusive Bowling event in Pune is the perfect weekend treat
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 People with disabilities must consider issues not propaganda - Dr B S Patil & Monika S Kshatriya
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News