Deaf movie review of Secret Superstar
A hearing perspective:
Secret Superstar is a Hindi musical drama film, featuring Zaira Wasim, Meher Vij and Aamir Khan in main roles.
The film is written and directed by Advait Chandan and produced by Aamir Khan and Kiran Rao.
The film introduces Insia Malik (Zaira Wasim) as a 15-year-old Muslim girl, who lives with her supportive yet submissive mother Najma Malik (Meher Vij), strict father Farookh Malik (Raj Arjun), younger brother Guddu (Kabir Sajid) and her grandmother in Vadodara.
The film shows how Insia dreams to be a singer and gets constant encouragement from her mother to follow her passion but faces restrictions from her conservative father.
An exciting journey unfolds when Insia and her close friend Chintan (Tirth Sharma) happen to cross paths with a music director Shakti Kumaarr (Aamir Khan).
Film explores innocence of teenage friendships or romance
Secret Superstar also looks at how celebrities are misunderstood by common public because of their negative media portrayals. It also touches upon domestic violence and its effects on children's minds. It tries to show how seeing her mother getting physically and emotionally abused by her father gives Insia the strength and courage to work towards her aim and improve her life.
Secret Superstar movie is a must-watch for Zaira Wasim's brilliant performance, Meher's touching emotional act, Aamir's small yet memorable work and Advait Chandan's confident directing debut. Appreciate all the soundtracks sung by Meghna Mishra, especially "Nachdi Phira" and "Meri Pyaari Ammi" are my favorites.
I’m going with four out of five stars.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports February 19, 2019 "After playing for 15 years, I am getting recognition now" - My Take by blind chess champ Kishan Gangolli
- Events February 17, 2019 National Conference on Assistive Technology for All 2030
- Accessibility February 20, 2019 63 government websites now accessible for disabled people, claims Centre. Not enough, says experts
- Get-hooked February 18, 2019 One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
- Technology February 14, 2019 Tobii Dynavox eye tracker is opening new world to little Ganga & others like her
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Coming national election may be boycotted by Maharashtra's deaf community
- Headlines February 20, 2019 India Premier League season starts 23 March
- Headlines February 19, 2019 Pakistani actors and artists banned by Indian film industry
- Headlines February 15, 2019 40 soldiers killed in J&K attack
- Headlines February 14, 2019 CAG report on Rafale deal brings relief to Modi government
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 14, 2019
Get-hooked February 7, 2019