No wheelchair can stop Afsara, the happy camper!
Just 12 years old, Afsara Khan from Kolkata, is remarkably expressive and communicative. Her picture communication board is alive with images that bring forth the ideas and thoughts running through her mind. Afsara, who has cerebral palsy uses a wheelchair to move around. The picture communication board is a canvas to express herself as she has associated speech and communication impairment.
Afsara's early years were hard as she comes from a poor economic background
Afsara's early circumstances were hard and tough. Her father is a labourer, and the only earning member in a joint family, which includes grandparents and a brother.
She started attending school when she was 10 years old at the Indian Institute of Cerebral Palsy in Kolkata. Her teachers say that she had to work hard to catch up with the other kids and has shown steely determination and a remarkable improvement.
"In the beginning, she was unhappy and used to cry a lot", says Susrita Pradhan, Principal, Centre for Special Education, IICP. "She used to prefer to work only with her class teachers."
Today, Afsara actively participates in programs both inside school and outside. In December 2016, she went to North Bengal for the Himalayan Nature and Adventure Camp, where she was awarded the Best Camper prize!
"Even though it was a new and unfamiliar place, she adjusted quickly and beautifully. She communicated well with peers at the camp, and took part in all activities most enthusiastically"- Susrita Pradhan, Principal
Recently Afsara was part of an IICP Raksha Bandhan event organised with the Kolkata Traffic Police. The group tied rakhis and friendship bands on people passing by as a gesture of solidarity and inclusion.
Afsara shows great interest in art and craft, and has taken part in drawing competitions, most recently one held by the Bank of Baroda. She is especially good at making paper bags and jewellery. Her teachers say she is a friendly child, always eager to step forward and help out.
Read about the others featured in our series - Children Who Inspire
Watch in Sign Language
- Prince Durairaj is on a mission to spread awareness on child sexual abuse
November 15, 2018
- Prayatna Counselling & Early Intervention Centre is on the journey of making a positive change
November 15, 2018
- First ever scientific study establishes the magical link between music & autism
November 14, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines November 15, 2018 Supreme Court to hear review petitions for Sabarimala issue on 22 January
- Get-hooked November 13, 2018 Some shopping tips for blind people
- Get-hooked November 8, 2018 Miss Deaf Asia Nishtha Dudeja credits her win to a fighting spirit, a Newz Hook exclusive
- Get-hooked November 9, 2018 India takes the fight against leprosy to people's doorsteps
- Education November 14, 2018 Understanding the Learning Disability - Dyslexia
- Headlines November 13, 2018 Rohit Sharma in list of batsmen with over 200 boundaries in T20Is
- Headlines November 13, 2018 Union Minister Ananth Kumar passes away at age of 59
- Headlines November 12, 2018 Air India pilot found drunk before flight
- Headlines November 12, 2018 Sushmita Sen puts an end to marriage rumours on social media
- Get-hooked November 12, 2018 New study links high pollution levels to autism, findings a cause for concern for Indian parents
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked November 10, 2018