Drummer. Cricketer. Actor - Meet Deep the all-rounder!
A happy and cheerful child, 11-year-old Deep actively takes part in school activities ranging from academics to music. Deep has cerebral palsy (Spastic Diplegia), which is lifelong and faces difficulties in mobility and coordination.
Thanks to intensive physiotherapy, Deep has started taking steps by using elbow crutches and under supervision. He mostly relies on a wheelchair and is able to push himself forward independently.
Deep loves studies and follows the National Open School’s Open Basic Education Curriculum. He excels at math and takes great pride in doing good written presentations of his assignments.
Deep shows strong leadership qualities, say his teachers
"What is so remarkable about Deep is that he works in a systematic, logical manner and does not hesitate to seek clarifications when needed", says Susrita Pradhan, Prinicpal, of the Centre for Special Education at the Indian Institute of Cerebral Palsy in Kolkata where Deep is a student.
"He communicates fluently in Bengali and also understands simple instructions in English and is able to express himself in simple phrases."
At home, Deep looks after himself independently. He even helps his mother in household chores and daily shopping. Every evening he plays cricket with his brother, and even helps his father make clay models for sale.
His teachers call Deep an achiever and see a lot of potential in him as he shows leadership qualities.
The best news is that Deep is the lead drummer of the school band. He is a good percussionist in the school and has represented his school in many events. Deep's fine sense of rhythm is evident at many events like the school annual concert and at a fundraising programme at the Hotel Taj Bengal.
All rounder in every sense of the wordDeep likes to play cricket, is creative and skilled at art. Recently he acted and danced in a drama organised by Earth Day Network and took part in an art competition organised by Bank of Baroda.
Read about the others in the Children Who Inspire series:
Watch in Sign Language
- #LovePossible - Newlyweds Shilpa & Danish Mahajan are setting serious couple goals
February 21, 2019
- Expert cook & entrepreneur - Deeja juggles roles with ease
February 20, 2019
- Know how Serotonin affects your mental health
February 19, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Education February 19, 2019 The Gati initiative is enabling mainstream Mumbai schools to provide high quality, inclusive education
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Actor Irrfan Khan is awaiting medical reports to start working
- Get-hooked February 18, 2019 Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Kashmir Valley shuts down after terror attack
- Parasports February 16, 2019 Inclusive tandem-cycling expedition #M2k2019 is back, this time even more scenic & challenging
- Headlines February 21, 2019 Supreme Court orders Anil Ambani to pay dues or go to jail
- Events February 17, 2019 Mumbai Memory Cafe- Session 3
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Kashmir attack - Pakistan under pressure to end support to terror groups
- Events February 14, 2019 Free Eye Camp
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Outsider Art at the Kochi Muziris Biennale opens doors to people with autism
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 20, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News