Making a home healthy & friendly for a child with ADHD
The signs ADHD or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder are difficulty paying attention, impulsive behaviour, and hyperactivity. It is important to make the home healthy and safe for child with ADHD and here are some tips to help you do that:
Make sure the colours used in your home are soothing as colour affects our mood and behaviour much more than many people realize. Warm earthy tones such as greens and gentle browns or calm blues provide soothing effects that can help deal with the signs of ADHD.
Also take a look at the lighting. Most homes in India have harsh, white tube lighting, but soft lighting is known to have a soothing effect. So choose golden (or yellow) glow light bulbs and tube lights the next time you need new ones.
Reduce electronics in your child’s life. Electronic devices in bedrooms, even if they are just charging, affect sleep and create more anxiety and disruptive behaviour during the day.
Visual clutter is known to cause stress and anxiety and distract children with ADHD. So keep your home organised and clutter-free. Encourage your child to keep toys hidden away in storage spaces so that table tops are free of clutter.
Create a place where the child can relax and find peace. This is a place where a child can deal with emotions, calm down, and simply detach themselves from stress of the day. This could be a prayer room so the child gets quiet, peaceful time away from the regular routine.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked November 11, 2018 Stephen Hawking's wheelchair & thesis fetch over $1 million at auction
- Parasports November 9, 2018 First ever Blind Volley Ball Tournament to be held in Karnataka
- Headlines November 13, 2018 Union Minister Ananth Kumar passes away at age of 59
- Get-hooked November 10, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 – Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Headlines November 14, 2018 Deepika and Ranveer want wedding guests to donate to charity
- Headlines November 12, 2018 Cyclonic storm lashes coasts of Tamil Nadu, south Andhra
- Headlines November 14, 2018 Marvel Comics creator Stan Lee dies at 95
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked November 10, 2018