Making a home healthy & friendly for a child with ADHD
The signs ADHD or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder are difficulty paying attention, impulsive behaviour, and hyperactivity. It is important to make the home healthy and safe for child with ADHD and here are some tips to help you do that:
Make sure the colours used in your home are soothing as colour affects our mood and behaviour much more than many people realize. Warm earthy tones such as greens and gentle browns or calm blues provide soothing effects that can help deal with the signs of ADHD.
Also take a look at the lighting. Most homes in India have harsh, white tube lighting, but soft lighting is known to have a soothing effect. So choose golden (or yellow) glow light bulbs and tube lights the next time you need new ones.
Reduce electronics in your child’s life. Electronic devices in bedrooms, even if they are just charging, affect sleep and create more anxiety and disruptive behaviour during the day.
Visual clutter is known to cause stress and anxiety and distract children with ADHD. So keep your home organised and clutter-free. Encourage your child to keep toys hidden away in storage spaces so that table tops are free of clutter.
Create a place where the child can relax and find peace. This is a place where a child can deal with emotions, calm down, and simply detach themselves from stress of the day. This could be a prayer room so the child gets quiet, peaceful time away from the regular routine.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Actor Irrfan Khan is awaiting medical reports to start working
- Get-hooked February 13, 2019 Disabled people are routine targets of abuse by Indian politicians despite laws banning this
- Events February 14, 2019 Be a Valentine - Celebrate Love
- Headlines February 10, 2019 Arun Jaitley back in India after treatment
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Coming national election may be boycotted by Maharashtra's deaf community
- Get-hooked February 11, 2019 Peranbu, a movie review - Guest column by A L Karpahaganesh
- Accessibility February 13, 2019 Kerala government introduces exclusive courts to handle cases for disabled people
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 9, 2019
Get-hooked February 7, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News