Making a home healthy & friendly for a child with ADHD
October 27, 2017
The signs ADHD or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder are difficulty paying attention, impulsive behaviour, and hyperactivity. It is important to make the home healthy and safe for child with ADHD and here are some tips to help you do that:
Make sure the colours used in your home are soothing as colour affects our mood and behaviour much more than many people realize. Warm earthy tones such as greens and gentle browns or calm blues provide soothing effects that can help deal with the signs of ADHD.
Also take a look at the lighting. Most homes in India have harsh, white tube lighting, but soft lighting is known to have a soothing effect. So choose golden (or yellow) glow light bulbs and tube lights the next time you need new ones.
Reduce electronics in your child's life. Electronic devices in bedrooms, even if they are just charging, affect sleep and create more anxiety and disruptive behaviour during the day.
Visual clutter is known to cause stress and anxiety and distract children with ADHD. So keep your home organised and clutter-free. Encourage your child to keep toys hidden away in storage spaces so that table tops are free of clutter.
Create a place where the child can relax and find peace. This is a place where a child can deal with emotions, calm down, and simply detach themselves from stress of the day. This could be a prayer room so the child gets quiet, peaceful time away from the regular routine.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked July 10, 2019 Spirited & strong minded, Preetha Thonnakkal lives life to the fullest
- Headlines July 10, 2019 Karnataka political crisis intensifies
- Get-hooked July 15, 2019 Saswati Singh's efforts to empower people with disabilities takes off as Nav Prerna Foundation
- Events July 11, 2019 Swaradhar - Manthan 2019
- Headlines July 13, 2019 Kangana accuses media of defamation
- Parasports July 17, 2019 India Divyang Cricket Team is raring to make its mark in first ever world series
- Events July 16, 2019 Screening of MetaMorphosis
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News