St Mary's School shows an open door & willing heart to children of special needs
In our series on India's Inclusive Schools, today we profile St Mary's School in New Delhi. This is one of those rare schools where children from all backgrounds, be it rich, poor, special needs, study together. It is among New Delhi's oldest inclusive schools.
What makes St Mary's School an inclusive school?
"We had a child in our school with a sibling who had cerebral palsy", says Annie Koshy, Principal of St Mary's. "She asked us if he could study here as well because they stayed close by and we said, why not." The child went on to complete his Class 12 and graduate from Delhi's prestigious St Stephen's College, the first disabled person to do so.
"We realised that this could be done and that was when we became inclusive"
At first, the lack of skilled staff was a challenge but there was a willingness to accept everyone and adapt, which is key to becoming inclusive. The teachers were open to teaching kids with all challenges.
From the nursery level onwards, children with disabilities are admitted and this means that everyone grows up with each other. Parents are told at the time of admission that the school is an inclusive one, with kids facing physical and economic challenges.
"We make an effort to bring in kids from all kinds of backgrounds and we tell parents that their child will be required to help"
Every class has a balance so teachers can cope. There are three special educators, and their job is to help teachers. One to one attention is offered, but only as a support for a short time. The focus is always on empowering the teacher.
"We work very closely with the parents", says Koshy. "If a child has behaviour issues, we call the parents for help. We rely on their support when needed."
Here are the other schools in the Top Inclusive Schools of India series -
APL Global School, Chennai
Riverside , Ahmedabad
Gamru Village School,Himachal Pradesh
The Heritage School Kolkata
Nankana Sahib Public School,Ludhiana
Watch in Sign Language
- Check out these fun outings for children with autism
October 21, 2018
- Indian Sign Language gets to wider audience, thanks to GiftAbled Foundation
October 21, 2018
- Inclusion should begin early to build greater understanding & awareness, say experts
October 21, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Education October 15, 2018 Relief for students with disabilities, CBSE exemptions to take effect from 2019
- Headlines October 19, 2018 Sneakers designed by Virat Kohli launched in India
- Headlines October 19, 2018 Kerala shutdowns after Sabarimala protests intensifies
- Get-hooked October 18, 2018 Staying fit with a disability is easy, here are some tips
- Parasports October 14, 2018 India win Blind Cricket Tri Series final, beat Sri Lanka by 10 wickets
- Get-hooked October 21, 2018 Check out these fun outings for children with autism
- Accessibility October 14, 2018 Savlon's new Braille enabled pack gets a big thumbs up. Will other brands follow?
- Headlines October 16, 2018 Over 70 cases of Zika virus reported in Rajasthan
- Accessibility October 16, 2018 Check out these accessible holiday destinations in India
- Get-hooked October 14, 2018 Visually impaired girls perfomed garba on song written by Prime Minister Narendra Modi
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News