St Mary's School shows an open door & willing heart to children of special needs
In our series on India's Inclusive Schools, today we profile St Mary's School in New Delhi. This is one of those rare schools where children from all backgrounds, be it rich, poor, special needs, study together. It is among New Delhi's oldest inclusive schools.
What makes St Mary's School an inclusive school?
"We had a child in our school with a sibling who had cerebral palsy", says Annie Koshy, Principal of St Mary's. "She asked us if he could study here as well because they stayed close by and we said, why not." The child went on to complete his Class 12 and graduate from Delhi's prestigious St Stephen's College, the first disabled person to do so.
"We realised that this could be done and that was when we became inclusive"
At first, the lack of skilled staff was a challenge but there was a willingness to accept everyone and adapt, which is key to becoming inclusive. The teachers were open to teaching kids with all challenges.
From the nursery level onwards, children with disabilities are admitted and this means that everyone grows up with each other. Parents are told at the time of admission that the school is an inclusive one, with kids facing physical and economic challenges.
"We make an effort to bring in kids from all kinds of backgrounds and we tell parents that their child will be required to help"
Every class has a balance so teachers can cope. There are three special educators, and their job is to help teachers. One to one attention is offered, but only as a support for a short time. The focus is always on empowering the teacher.
"We work very closely with the parents", says Koshy. "If a child has behaviour issues, we call the parents for help. We rely on their support when needed."
Here are the other schools in the Top Inclusive Schools of India series -
APL Global School, Chennai
Riverside , Ahmedabad
Gamru Village School,Himachal Pradesh
The Heritage School Kolkata
Nankana Sahib Public School,Ludhiana
Watch in Sign Language
- Household noises can be noisy, protect your hearing in these ways
December 19, 2018
- Gluten free diet for children with autism. Some information
December 19, 2018
- Dilip Mani's tunes have the healing touch for children with disabilities.
December 19, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 Deaf candidate Sudeep Shukla impresses in polls, shows the way to disabled political aspirants
- Education December 14, 2018 Sol's Arc is making the world a better place for children with disabilities
- Headlines December 12, 2018 Shaktikanta Das to succeed Urjit Patel as RBI governor
- Parasports December 17, 2018 Nothing stops this blind cricketer from batting for inclusion into IPL
- Headlines December 13, 2018 Congress to form government in MP with Mayawati’s support
- Headlines December 14, 2018 Kamal Nath will be Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 This Mumbai sports academy for disabled kids brings a spring to the steps & a smile
- Education December 18, 2018 Disabled students in West Bengal cheer move to reserve 5% seats in higher education
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Society attitudes are a big threat for development of children with disabilities
- Employment December 15, 2018 Staff from schools for disabled kids protest against government apathy in Kerala
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News