Lack of career counsellor for disabled at welfare office in Chennai
November 7, 2017
The district disabled welfare office in Chennai lacks the post of a career counsellor since many years.
The career counsellor or vocational guidance officer (VGO) is important to provide training assistance, explain self-employment opportunities and give details about government employment exams.
Sadly, it is reported that other support staff like receptionist provides the career guidance to atleast 100 disabled people coming to the welfare office everyday.
Some of the work done by other staff are issuing ID cards, distributing free assistive devices, scholarships and monthly allowances.
However, activists say that important posts in district welfare offices must be filled to help the disabled receive proper information about jobs and career.
Watch in Sign Language
- #AutismPower - SAI Bakery offers adults with developmental disabilities space to bond & learn
April 4, 2019
- Kerala government’s Kaivalya Project yet to take off, disability rights groups disappointed
March 18, 2019
- Saarathee's employees are showing India that disability is just a matter of perception
March 11, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 Voter Helpline in ISL aims to enable deaf voters make an informed choice
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Events April 18, 2019 Treasure Island
- Headlines April 20, 2019 IPL 2019 - Bengaluru beat Kolkata
- Get-hooked April 17, 2019 Karnataka candidate Ramanjinappa has an inclusive mission
- Get-hooked April 15, 2019 World Hemophilia Day 2019 aims for outreach & identification
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism and dental health
- Headlines April 19, 2019 ‘Kalank’ is highest grosser on opening day for 2019
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Inclusive Bowling event in Pune is the perfect weekend treat
- Events April 15, 2019 Tandem Challenge
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News