For the first time, proposal to set up homes for the disabled in Washim, Maharashtra
November 9, 2017
For the first time in Maharashtra, a Municipal Council has sent a proposal to build homes for the disabled under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY). The proposal has been sent by the Washim Municipal Council and has been approved by the appraisal committee. Washim is located in the Vidarbha region.
The proposal has to get the approval of the state-level monitoring committee before it is sent to the central government for final approval.
The proposal suggests building 101 homes in Washim, and there is a plan to also write to the Prime Minister's Office about the proposal so that it finds a mention in Prime Minister Narendra Modi's Mann Ki Baat radio programme.
Under PMAY, the Centre and state governments contribute Rs 2.5 lakh for every beneficiary buying a house. The size of the homes for economically weaker section is 30 sq metres.
The project in Washim came about after the municipal council organised regular workshops for the disabled in the city to tell them about schemes dealing with insurance, medical help and other issues.
A special survey was also held to identify the number of disabled people in the city and their housing status. It was found that around 110 to 120 people who either have land, but no proper homes, or any homes at all.
Apart from the money the Centre and Maharashtra will put in, the Municipal Council will also contribute an amount. Donations will also be taken from companies as part of their Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR).
The proposal will come up before the state-level monitoring committee in a meeting this week.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Swarga Foundation workshop at Coimbatore airport builds sensitivity towards needs of disabled travelers
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Amitabh Bachchan pays 70 crore tax
- Parasports April 17, 2019 London will now host the ninth World Para Swimming Championship
- Events April 18, 2019 EasterFest
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Bethany Society Shillong are champs at the 4th national blind football tournament
- Events April 18, 2019 Treasure Island
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Voting in second phase of elections today
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Consider loss of internal organs as disability, orders Madras High Court
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Shatrughan Sinha's wife joins Samajwadi Party
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Jet Airways suspends all operations
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News