For the first time, proposal to set up homes for the disabled in Washim, Maharashtra
November 9, 2017
For the first time in Maharashtra, a Municipal Council has sent a proposal to build homes for the disabled under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY). The proposal has been sent by the Washim Municipal Council and has been approved by the appraisal committee. Washim is located in the Vidarbha region.
The proposal has to get the approval of the state-level monitoring committee before it is sent to the central government for final approval.
The proposal suggests building 101 homes in Washim, and there is a plan to also write to the Prime Minister's Office about the proposal so that it finds a mention in Prime Minister Narendra Modi's Mann Ki Baat radio programme.
Under PMAY, the Centre and state governments contribute Rs 2.5 lakh for every beneficiary buying a house. The size of the homes for economically weaker section is 30 sq metres.
The project in Washim came about after the municipal council organised regular workshops for the disabled in the city to tell them about schemes dealing with insurance, medical help and other issues.
A special survey was also held to identify the number of disabled people in the city and their housing status. It was found that around 110 to 120 people who either have land, but no proper homes, or any homes at all.
Apart from the money the Centre and Maharashtra will put in, the Municipal Council will also contribute an amount. Donations will also be taken from companies as part of their Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR).
The proposal will come up before the state-level monitoring committee in a meeting this week.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Understanding Fibromyalgia
- Events June 17, 2019 Indian Freedom Struggle through a musical play
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Mamata Banerjee accepts demands of protesting doctors
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Sherin & Neerada’s deep bond of friendship is rooted in understanding & respect
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 Delhi government failure to implement key RPWD Act provision sign of larger apathy
- Headlines June 16, 2019 World Cup: India vs Pakistan today
- Events June 13, 2019 ABBF Weekend Ride
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Seeking a friend or life partner? Register at this meet up
- Events June 17, 2019 Miss & Mister Deaf Stars 2019
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Bhuvneshwar Kumar out for 2 matches
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News