4 parks in Delhi to get equipment so disabled kids can play
The South Delhi Municipal Corporation plans to make parks in its area inclusive so disabled kids can play.
It plans to set up customised playground equipment in its parks for the disabled. Two customised swings will be set up in each of the four parks under its area.
A merry-go-round and a seesaw, with belts to lock the wheelchairs safely, will be installed at four parks in Sadiq Nagar, Green Park, Madhav Park and Dwarka.
In the past, efforts have been made to beautify community parks and develop kids’ corners but children with special needs were not considered. In August, some residents approached the area Councillor and demanded play equipment for the disabled.
The project will be first of its kind in which swings, seesaws and merry-go-rounds will be installed. The initial designs have been finalised and the project will be implemented in the next three months. The inputs of disabled kids will be taken for better implementation.
Disability rights activists have welcomed the move. They say the initiative will open the mind of people and increase acceptance.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports February 17, 2019 Players prep for the National wheelchair cricket match to begin this March
- Parasports February 15, 2019 First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
- Events February 17, 2019 Mumbai Memory Cafe- Session 3
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Annual Rendezvous event of Headway Foundation is an occasion to honour disabled achievers
- Events February 14, 2019 Ghazal Nite
- Accessibility February 18, 2019 Kozhikode Art Gallery under fire for blocking access to wheelchair users
- Headlines February 15, 2019 Gully Boy hits theatres
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Outsider Art at the Kochi Muziris Biennale opens doors to people with autism
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Understanding Rett Syndrome
- Get-hooked February 13, 2019 Deaf groups in Pune to protest against Maharashtra government's neglect of their needs
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 14, 2019
Get-hooked February 7, 2019