Severely disabled will no longer be barred from pursuing medicine
The Medical Council of India has finally adopted a more inclusive policy and said that physical disability will no longer be valid grounds to prevent a person from becoming a doctor. It has taken nearly 20 years of struggle between disabled students and India’s medical studies regulator for this shift to happen.
The MCI will now allow 21 categories of severely disabled candidates to take next year’s graduate and post-graduate medical courses. This major change in policy comes after a strong order from the Supreme Court in August.
These include blindness, low-vision, hearing impairment, locomotor disability, dwarfism, intellectual disability, multiple sclerosis and muscular dystrophy.
The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment is framing rules to specify medical job roles for different categories of disability. Until now, the MCI allowed only candidates with below 70% disability of the lower limbs to study medicine, although this was against all disability-related laws in the country. This meant students had to fight separate legal battles for admission to medical schools.
The MCI felt that people with severe disability were not good enough to study medicine. In August, a student with thalassemia was allowed by the Supreme Court to take admission in a medical college. The court also criticised the MCI, asking it to uphold social justice.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 11, 2018 India celebrates first Test win in Australia in 10 years
- Accessibility December 4, 2018 Big Bazaar leads the way with a Quiet Hour for shoppers on the autism spectrum, a World Disability Day special
- Get-hooked December 6, 2018 How disabled people can expedite their inclusion in society - Guest column by Turab Chimthanawala
- Get-hooked December 8, 2018 Deaf people are gathering at Delhi's Jantar Mantar for a common cause
- Get-hooked December 6, 2018 Activities that can be fun & stimulating for kids with dyspraxia
- Get-hooked December 7, 2018 A writing contest with disability as the theme. Know more
- Headlines December 5, 2018 Five people arrested in killing of police officer at Uttar Pradesh
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Employment December 11, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News