This blogger's beauty tips in sign language are a hit!
Beauty blogger Catherine Martinez's Instagram page is a class act. Not only does she look great and give great beauty tips, she communicates them in American Sign Language!
Be it reviews of beauty products, checking out new shades of lipsticks, or lessons on skin care, Catherine, who recently finished her graduation, uses ASL and captions so her videos can reach a larger number of people. After all, everyone wants to look good, don't they?
While studying communicative sciences and disorders in college, Catherine realised how little access the deaf have to information in the beauty space. Through her tutorials, she also wants to make people aware of the importance of accessible communication.
She said she fell in love with sign language and realised that the deaf were interested in the beauty industry. But they did not feel like they could fit in.
Catherine uses her ASL videos to learn more signs as well as raise awareness about including deaf culture in the beauty world. She even translates product recommendations into Spanish for followers and family in Venezuela.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Priyanka Gandhi launches mega poll rally in U.P
- Accessibility February 12, 2019 Munambam Beach in Kerala all set to become disabled-friendly
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Disability rights body seeks Health Minister's intervention to overturn guidelines that discriminate against MBBS aspirants
- Technology February 11, 2019 Move to promote inclusion or mere gimmick? Disability-themed emojis for 2019 get mixed reviews
- Headlines February 11, 2019 ‘Gully Boy’ screened at Berlin Film Festival, gets positive reviews
- Accessibility February 13, 2019 Kerala government introduces exclusive courts to handle cases for disabled people
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Annual Rendezvous event of Headway Foundation is an occasion to honour disabled achievers
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News