Orchid School in Pune provides an enabling environment for children of all needs
In our final story in the Inclusive Schools series, we look at Pune's Orchid School, where the belief is that given the right opportunity and a productive, enabling environment, all children can learn. And in this spirit, the school has an inclusive approach, not just towards children with special needs, but also children from poor economic backgrounds.
"The basic philosophy of the Orchid School is inclusive", says Namrata Majhail, Principal, The Orchid School. "We believe that children must get an exposure to all situations and people understand that inclusion is the only way to progress in society. Children have to be sensitised to the fact that they need to look after others."
This has been the school's approach since it was set up 14 years ago. There are children here with learning disabilities as well as mobility challenges. Every level has three sections and children with disabilities are taught along with everyone else. "This way each child is made aware of the need to look after each other", says Majhail. There are regular orientations held to sensitise the children.
To ensure that children with physical disabilities have easy access, ramps and lifts have been set up across the campus. Even the evacuation plan in the event of an emergency has been framed keeping in mind the needs of children with disabilities. Care is taken to think of every situation where their needs are met with, says Majhail.
There are three special educators and four counsellors on board. New special educators shadow the senior teachers before they are given responsibility for a class.
"Many schools tend to see children with disabilities as an added responsibility", says Majhail. "We prefer seeing them as an asset because they help build greater awareness and empathy, not just among the students but also the parents".
To view the other schools which were part of the Inclusive Schools series, click below:
APL Global School, Chennai
St Mary's , Delhi
Riverside , Ahmedabad
Gamru Village School,Himachal Pradesh
The Heritage School Kolkata
Nankana Sahib Public SchoolLudhiana
Watch in Sign Language
- Expert cook & entrepreneur - Deeja juggles roles with ease
February 20, 2019
- Know how Serotonin affects your mental health
February 19, 2019
- Here is how caregivers can avoid being burned out
February 19, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Actor Irrfan Khan is awaiting medical reports to start working
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Superstar Rajinikanth will not contest Lok Sabha Elections
- Headlines February 15, 2019 Gully Boy hits theatres
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Disability rights body seeks Health Minister's intervention to overturn guidelines that discriminate against MBBS aspirants
- Parasports February 15, 2019 First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
- Headlines February 20, 2019 Two jets crash ahead of Bengaluru Aero India event, one pilot dies
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 #LovePossible - What happened when Satendra Singh met his Paro
- Events February 17, 2019 National Conference on Assistive Technology for All 2030
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Kashmir attack - Pakistan under pressure to end support to terror groups
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 14, 2019
Get-hooked February 7, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News