Special wheelchair spaces, inclusive toilets - Hyderabad Metro will change the face of accessible transport!
The Telangana Department for Disabled Welfare is working on making public transport facilities accessible for the disabled. This includes the Hyderabad Metro Rail, that will start operations in a few weeks.
Stations, lifts, ticket counters & trains planned with experts, disabled
Friendly Environment for the Disabled, a national organisation, was asked for suggestions while designing the Hyderabad Metro. They say that based on their observations, this is better planned than the Delhi Metro.
Arrangements have been made to ensure that there is no danger to the lives of the disabled while boarding the train. Lift operating buttons will have information in Braille for the blind and also a tactile strip for easier movement.
There are special wheelchair spaces which will allow wheelchairs to be locked to a ‘grab hold’ in the train. Inclusive toilets are also being built. There is wide automatic fare collection gates for wheelchair passengers while special ticket vending machines for speech impaired people are being designed.
Announcements of train arrival and departure will be made in three languages along with relevant signage and pictograms.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 19, 2019 Here is how caregivers can avoid being burned out
- Headlines February 20, 2019 India Premier League season starts 23 March
- Accessibility February 17, 2019 Accessible parking still remains distant dream for people with disabilities
- Accessibility February 20, 2019 Kerala's disability rights groups gear up to challenge unjust road transport authorities
- Education February 19, 2019 The Gati initiative is enabling mainstream Mumbai schools to provide high quality, inclusive education
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism in girls
- Events February 17, 2019 National Conference on Assistive Technology for All 2030
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 9, 2019
Get-hooked February 11, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 14, 2019
Get-hooked February 7, 2019