Special wheelchair spaces, inclusive toilets - Hyderabad Metro will change the face of accessible transport!
November 18, 2017
The Telangana Department for Disabled Welfare is working on making public transport facilities accessible for the disabled. This includes the Hyderabad Metro Rail, that will start operations in a few weeks.
Stations, lifts, ticket counters & trains planned with experts, disabled
Friendly Environment for the Disabled, a national organisation, was asked for suggestions while designing the Hyderabad Metro. They say that based on their observations, this is better planned than the Delhi Metro.
Arrangements have been made to ensure that there is no danger to the lives of the disabled while boarding the train. Lift operating buttons will have information in Braille for the blind and also a tactile strip for easier movement.
There are special wheelchair spaces which will allow wheelchairs to be locked to a 'grab hold' in the train. Inclusive toilets are also being built. There is wide automatic fare collection gates for wheelchair passengers while special ticket vending machines for speech impaired people are being designed.
Announcements of train arrival and departure will be made in three languages along with relevant signage and pictograms.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Bengal doctors' protest spreads to other cities
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Lyse Bin Muhammad combines medicine & disability activism with ease
- Events June 13, 2019 ABBF Weekend Ride
- Education June 19, 2019 Parents, special educators group files RTI into status of inclusive education in Kerala
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Nominations for 2019 NCPEDP-Mphasis Universal Design Awards are open
- Events June 13, 2019 Decoding Dementia
- Headlines June 17, 2019 Bengal doctors reject Mamata Banerjee's plea to call off strike
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News