Special wheelchair spaces, inclusive toilets - Hyderabad Metro will change the face of accessible transport!
November 18, 2017
The Telangana Department for Disabled Welfare is working on making public transport facilities accessible for the disabled. This includes the Hyderabad Metro Rail, that will start operations in a few weeks.
Stations, lifts, ticket counters & trains planned with experts, disabled
Friendly Environment for the Disabled, a national organisation, was asked for suggestions while designing the Hyderabad Metro. They say that based on their observations, this is better planned than the Delhi Metro.
Arrangements have been made to ensure that there is no danger to the lives of the disabled while boarding the train. Lift operating buttons will have information in Braille for the blind and also a tactile strip for easier movement.
There are special wheelchair spaces which will allow wheelchairs to be locked to a 'grab hold' in the train. Inclusive toilets are also being built. There is wide automatic fare collection gates for wheelchair passengers while special ticket vending machines for speech impaired people are being designed.
Announcements of train arrival and departure will be made in three languages along with relevant signage and pictograms.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Second voting phase-Key points
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Congress spokesperson attacks her party
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Anybody Can Paint helps visually impaired people find the artists within
- Events April 18, 2019 Treasure Island
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Some tips for people with disabilities to stay fit & healthy
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Dialogue in the Dark session at Gujarat National Law University triggers important conversations
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News