Odisha students develop wheelchair that can run on solar power!
November 28, 2017
A group of students at the Swami Vivekananda National Institute of Rehabilitation Training and Research at Olatpur in Odisha have developed a solar-powered wheelchair.
Idea was born after students saw difficulties faced by disabled
The final year Bachelor of Physiotherapy students designed the wheelchair to ease the travel difficulties faced by the disabled. They saw that people with disabilities had a tough time coming to their university in navigating the wheels with their hands. This moved them to develop the device.
Once charged, the wheelchair can function for about three hours, and it can move at a speed of 15 to 20 km per hour. It has an accelerator and break to control speed and also has an horn. The parts are removable and can be repaired or replaced by local electricians in case of a breakdown.
Wheelchair is priced low so its affordable
Trials have been done on people with spinal cord injuries and they have been appreciated. The cost is also affordable for everyone.
Watch in Sign Language
- #TechThursdays - Flexmo, a one-of-its-kind crutch, is engineered for all terrain types
June 20, 2019
- #TechThursdays - EMx turns the spotlight on early intervention & inclusive education in the 3rd edition
June 13, 2019
- Chatbot Mera Mitra aims to be the personal companion for all things to do with disability in India
June 12, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Some tips to protect disabled children from bullying
- Get-hooked June 19, 2019 Sustainable, eco-friendly vocational training for disabled adults, the Aarambh way
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Acid attack survivors hope SRK's support will lend greater focus to their campaign
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Nominations for 2019 NCPEDP-Mphasis Universal Design Awards are open
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Virat Kohli fastest to score 11,000 ODI runs
- Events June 17, 2019 Indian Freedom Struggle through a musical play
- Headlines June 17, 2019 Bengal doctors reject Mamata Banerjee's plea to call off strike
- Education June 16, 2019 Delhi University clarifies rules regarding disabled certificate validity for admissions
- Technology June 20, 2019 #TechThursdays - Flexmo, a one-of-its-kind crutch, is engineered for all terrain types
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Bhuvneshwar Kumar out for 2 matches
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News