Odisha students develop wheelchair that can run on solar power!
A group of students at the Swami Vivekananda National Institute of Rehabilitation Training and Research at Olatpur in Odisha have developed a solar-powered wheelchair.
Idea was born after students saw difficulties faced by disabled
The final year Bachelor of Physiotherapy students designed the wheelchair to ease the travel difficulties faced by the disabled. They saw that people with disabilities had a tough time coming to their university in navigating the wheels with their hands. This moved them to develop the device.
Once charged, the wheelchair can function for about three hours, and it can move at a speed of 15 to 20 km per hour. It has an accelerator and break to control speed and also has an horn. The parts are removable and can be repaired or replaced by local electricians in case of a breakdown.
Wheelchair is priced low so its affordable
Trials have been done on people with spinal cord injuries and they have been appreciated. The cost is also affordable for everyone.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 12, 2018 United Kingdom court orders extradition of Vijay Mallya to India
- Technology December 10, 2018 Bengaluru meet brings together key stakeholders working on indigenous assistive tech solutions
- Accessibility December 7, 2018 VaccesS 2018 an exhibition about innovative & latest assistive devices
- Headlines December 7, 2018 Section 144 extended in Sabarimala till 8 December
- Accessibility December 9, 2018 Bengaluru’s Namma Pride gets a thumbs up for its accessibility features
- Get-hooked December 9, 2018 These disabled youngsters find their passion in something unique
- Get-hooked December 8, 2018 What makes them Disability Heroes - World Disability Day Special
- Accessibility December 10, 2018 Fact check by disability advocacy group on voting day in Rajasthan throws up gaps in accessible election promises
- Headlines December 14, 2018 Senior BJP leader questions choice of new RBI governor, party embarrassed
- Headlines December 11, 2018 Farmer sells 2,000-kg onion for 6/-, sends money to top politician
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News