Odisha students develop wheelchair that can run on solar power!
November 28, 2017
A group of students at the Swami Vivekananda National Institute of Rehabilitation Training and Research at Olatpur in Odisha have developed a solar-powered wheelchair.
Idea was born after students saw difficulties faced by disabled
The final year Bachelor of Physiotherapy students designed the wheelchair to ease the travel difficulties faced by the disabled. They saw that people with disabilities had a tough time coming to their university in navigating the wheels with their hands. This moved them to develop the device.
Once charged, the wheelchair can function for about three hours, and it can move at a speed of 15 to 20 km per hour. It has an accelerator and break to control speed and also has an horn. The parts are removable and can be repaired or replaced by local electricians in case of a breakdown.
Wheelchair is priced low so its affordable
Trials have been done on people with spinal cord injuries and they have been appreciated. The cost is also affordable for everyone.
Watch in Sign Language
- #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
April 18, 2019
- Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
April 15, 2019
- Developmental disorders can now be diagnosed from home, thanks to this app developed by AIIMS
April 11, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 Tips to manage learning disabilities in adults
- Headlines April 21, 2019 IPL 2019 - Royals & Capitals win
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Shatrughan Sinha's wife joins Samajwadi Party
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Voting in second phase of elections today
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Understanding Stimming
- Headlines April 17, 2019 IPL 2019 - Rajasthan Royals lose again
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Sadhvi Pragya retracts remark about 26/11 martyr
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Google bans TikTok in India
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 #AutismPower - Julia's family feature all through April on popular show Sesame Street
- Events April 15, 2019 Tandem Challenge
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News