Odisha students develop wheelchair that can run on solar power!
A group of students at the Swami Vivekananda National Institute of Rehabilitation Training and Research at Olatpur in Odisha have developed a solar-powered wheelchair.
Idea was born after students saw difficulties faced by disabled
The final year Bachelor of Physiotherapy students designed the wheelchair to ease the travel difficulties faced by the disabled. They saw that people with disabilities had a tough time coming to their university in navigating the wheels with their hands. This moved them to develop the device.
Once charged, the wheelchair can function for about three hours, and it can move at a speed of 15 to 20 km per hour. It has an accelerator and break to control speed and also has an horn. The parts are removable and can be repaired or replaced by local electricians in case of a breakdown.
Wheelchair is priced low so its affordable
Trials have been done on people with spinal cord injuries and they have been appreciated. The cost is also affordable for everyone.
Watch in Sign Language
- Leveraging artificial intelligence for accessibility solutions focus of Microsoft India's Accessibility Summit
February 17, 2019
- Tobii Dynavox eye tracker is opening new world to little Ganga & others like her
February 14, 2019
- Move to promote inclusion or mere gimmick? Disability-themed emojis for 2019 get mixed reviews
February 11, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 15, 2019 Lawn Tennis for Visually Impaired
- Events February 17, 2019 Mumbai Memory Cafe- Session 3
- Headlines February 17, 2019 India-Australia series - Karthik dropped
- Parasports February 17, 2019 Players prep for the National wheelchair cricket match to begin this March
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Modi flags off Vande Bharat Express, India’s fastest train
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Ticket prices reduced for India’s fastest train
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 #LovePossible - What happened when Satendra Singh met his Paro
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Vande Bharat Express breaks down a day after launch
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Annual Rendezvous event of Headway Foundation is an occasion to honour disabled achievers
- Headlines February 11, 2019 ‘Gully Boy’ screened at Berlin Film Festival, gets positive reviews
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019