At Vivekalaya School, children with special needs are exposed to a range of experiences
November 24, 2017
In our Top 10 Inclusive Schools series, we look at Vivekalaya School in Coimbatore, which follows an integrated approach.
Integrated approach a cornerstone of the academic policy from the start
The specific needs of every child are looked into, based on which a remedial intervention program is framed. The approach here is holistic - one that exposes children to a variety of activities, skills and experiences.
Children with learning disabilities are taught in separate classrooms for academics only, and are integrated with other students for extra-curricular activities.This includes activities like dance, play, art, karate, music, indoor games, talk shows, guest lectures, literary activities, value education, story times, career guidance and counselling.
The school caters to children with learning disabilities like dyslexia and ADHD. Students with mild autism are also taught here. Reaching out to them are 30 special educators.
Like with most inclusive schools in India, trained staff skilled in reaching out to children with special needs in a challenge. Vivekalaya is associated with the Madras Dyslexia Association, which helps the school with the training. There is also regular in-house training by senior staff who follow the Transactional Analysis program.
The science of Transactional Analysis has a framework of reference, when it comes to understanding students, empathising with them and providing emotional support.
Being an integrated school has a positive impact on students, says a school official.
"As an integrated school we develop the culture of respect and belonging. It provides opportunities to learn about, and accept individual differences."
To view the other schools which were part of the Inclusive Schools series, click below:
APL Global School, Chennai
St Mary's , Delhi
Riverside , Ahmedabad
Gamru Village School,Himachal Pradesh
The Heritage School, Kolkata
Nankana Sahib Public SchoolLudhiana
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 Shubhajit aims to enter history books as first double arm amputee to complete Bengaluru-Ladakh bike ride
- Accessibility April 13, 2019 Calcutta High Court rules in favour of medical student with mental disorder who was denied admission
- Headlines April 16, 2019 Yogi, Mayawati banned by ECI
- Accessibility April 12, 2019 Worthy of international medals, but "mentally unsound" to vote – Why this election will elude Asha Kiran home residents
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Voting in second phase of elections today
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Jet Airways suspends all operations
- Headlines April 16, 2019 IPL 2019 - Mumbai beat Bengaluru
- Events April 18, 2019 Climb With ABBF
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Jallianwalah Bagh massacre, people pay tribute
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Upcoming film 'Mental Hai Kya' starring Kangana, Rajkummar angers mental health experts
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News