At Vivekalaya School, children with special needs are exposed to a range of experiences
November 24, 2017
In our Top 10 Inclusive Schools series, we look at Vivekalaya School in Coimbatore, which follows an integrated approach.
Integrated approach a cornerstone of the academic policy from the start
The specific needs of every child are looked into, based on which a remedial intervention program is framed. The approach here is holistic - one that exposes children to a variety of activities, skills and experiences.
Children with learning disabilities are taught in separate classrooms for academics only, and are integrated with other students for extra-curricular activities.This includes activities like dance, play, art, karate, music, indoor games, talk shows, guest lectures, literary activities, value education, story times, career guidance and counselling.
The school caters to children with learning disabilities like dyslexia and ADHD. Students with mild autism are also taught here. Reaching out to them are 30 special educators.
Like with most inclusive schools in India, trained staff skilled in reaching out to children with special needs in a challenge. Vivekalaya is associated with the Madras Dyslexia Association, which helps the school with the training. There is also regular in-house training by senior staff who follow the Transactional Analysis program.
The science of Transactional Analysis has a framework of reference, when it comes to understanding students, empathising with them and providing emotional support.
Being an integrated school has a positive impact on students, says a school official.
"As an integrated school we develop the culture of respect and belonging. It provides opportunities to learn about, and accept individual differences."
To view the other schools which were part of the Inclusive Schools series, click below:
APL Global School, Chennai
St Mary's , Delhi
Riverside , Ahmedabad
Gamru Village School,Himachal Pradesh
The Heritage School, Kolkata
Nankana Sahib Public SchoolLudhiana
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 24, 2019 India dismissed report on rising religious tensions
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 Driving change in attitudes towards disability in Jammu-Kashmir - My Take by Dildar Ahmad Shapoo
- Headlines June 27, 2019 Father pleads guilty in death of adoptive disabled child
- Accessibility June 22, 2019 With no hearing test facility at Delhi's Safdarjung Hospital, disabled students miss NEET counselling
- Education June 20, 2019 #ChangeMakers - An idol to many, Elizabeth Philip keeps inspiring through her relentless work
- Parasports June 23, 2019 Deaf shooter Dhanush Srikanth stuns the world with performance in regular category
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 Some effective yoga poses for wheelchair users
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Technology June 24, 2019 New web-based remote promises to change TV viewing for people with disabilities
- Events June 20, 2019 With This Ability - Comedy and Conversation with Sweta Mantrii
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News