At Vivekalaya School, children with special needs are exposed to a range of experiences
In our Top 10 Inclusive Schools series, we look at Vivekalaya School in Coimbatore, which follows an integrated approach.
Integrated approach a cornerstone of the academic policy from the start
The specific needs of every child are looked into, based on which a remedial intervention program is framed. The approach here is holistic - one that exposes children to a variety of activities, skills and experiences.
Children with learning disabilities are taught in separate classrooms for academics only, and are integrated with other students for extra-curricular activities.This includes activities like dance, play, art, karate, music, indoor games, talk shows, guest lectures, literary activities, value education, story times, career guidance and counselling.
The school caters to children with learning disabilities like dyslexia and ADHD. Students with mild autism are also taught here. Reaching out to them are 30 special educators.
Like with most inclusive schools in India, trained staff skilled in reaching out to children with special needs in a challenge. Vivekalaya is associated with the Madras Dyslexia Association, which helps the school with the training. There is also regular in-house training by senior staff who follow the Transactional Analysis program.
The science of Transactional Analysis has a framework of reference, when it comes to understanding students, empathising with them and providing emotional support.
Being an integrated school has a positive impact on students, says a school official.
“As an integrated school we develop the culture of respect and belonging. It provides opportunities to learn about, and accept individual differences.”
To view the other schools which were part of the Inclusive Schools series, click below:
APL Global School, Chennai
St Mary's , Delhi
Riverside , Ahmedabad
Gamru Village School,Himachal Pradesh
The Heritage School, Kolkata
Nankana Sahib Public SchoolLudhiana
Watch in Sign Language
- Some ways to help kids with autism prepare for exams
October 20, 2018
- Proposal to start sign language exams needs a reality check, say experts
October 18, 2018
- Some tips to make classrooms inclusive for children with cerebral palsy
October 16, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked October 20, 2018 Chaarana Centre for Special Needs is a haven for disabled children in Bengaluru
- Events October 21, 2018 Diwali Mela 2018
- Technology October 20, 2018 Microsoft pledge to develop EdTech for dyslexic students has great potential for India
- Get-hooked October 22, 2018 Children with autism find a ray of hope at Sunshine in Bengaluru
- Events October 19, 2018 Knowledge sharing Open Session On Career Planning by BGFI
- Get-hooked October 20, 2018 Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
- Education October 18, 2018 Proposal to start sign language exams needs a reality check, say experts
- Get-hooked October 19, 2018 This Bengaluru NGO looks to nature to improve the wellbeing of disabled kids
- Get-hooked October 18, 2018 Staying fit with a disability is easy, here are some tips
- Headlines October 22, 2018 Deepika and Ranveer to get married on 15 November
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Education October 20, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News