At Vivekalaya School, children with special needs are exposed to a range of experiences
In our Top 10 Inclusive Schools series, we look at Vivekalaya School in Coimbatore, which follows an integrated approach.
Integrated approach a cornerstone of the academic policy from the start
The specific needs of every child are looked into, based on which a remedial intervention program is framed. The approach here is holistic - one that exposes children to a variety of activities, skills and experiences.
Children with learning disabilities are taught in separate classrooms for academics only, and are integrated with other students for extra-curricular activities.This includes activities like dance, play, art, karate, music, indoor games, talk shows, guest lectures, literary activities, value education, story times, career guidance and counselling.
The school caters to children with learning disabilities like dyslexia and ADHD. Students with mild autism are also taught here. Reaching out to them are 30 special educators.
Like with most inclusive schools in India, trained staff skilled in reaching out to children with special needs in a challenge. Vivekalaya is associated with the Madras Dyslexia Association, which helps the school with the training. There is also regular in-house training by senior staff who follow the Transactional Analysis program.
The science of Transactional Analysis has a framework of reference, when it comes to understanding students, empathising with them and providing emotional support.
Being an integrated school has a positive impact on students, says a school official.
“As an integrated school we develop the culture of respect and belonging. It provides opportunities to learn about, and accept individual differences.”
To view the other schools which were part of the Inclusive Schools series, click below:
APL Global School, Chennai
St Mary's , Delhi
Riverside , Ahmedabad
Gamru Village School,Himachal Pradesh
The Heritage School, Kolkata
Nankana Sahib Public SchoolLudhiana
Watch in Sign Language
- Disabled students in West Bengal cheer move to reserve 5% seats in higher education
December 18, 2018
- Sol's Arc is making the world a better place for children with disabilities
December 14, 2018
- Top medical institute in Chandigarh under scanner for discriminating against disabled candidates
December 14, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 17, 2018 Indian skipper Virat Kohli strikes 25th test hundred against Australia in style
- Get-hooked December 16, 2018 Health Problems in children with Autism
- Education December 14, 2018 Top medical institute in Chandigarh under scanner for discriminating against disabled candidates
- Headlines December 15, 2018 India vs Australia - Decision to drop Jadeja criticised
- Parasports December 17, 2018 Nothing stops this blind cricketer from batting for inclusion into IPL
- Get-hooked December 17, 2018 My life is disabled by my environment - Guest column by Diethono Nakhro, disability rights activist
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Praangan is meeting educational needs of children with disorders
- Headlines December 12, 2018 United Kingdom court orders extradition of Vijay Mallya to India
- Accessibility December 17, 2018 Ezy Mov, the wheelchair taxi service, makes Accessible Goa a reality
- Get-hooked December 15, 2018 Get set for an explosion of art & culture in accessible forms at the Serendipity Arts Festival
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018