These schools are setting the stage for an inclusive world
December 1, 2017
Through the month of November, NewzHook's special coverage has focused on children who show us the ability in disability as well as schools that are enabling them to realise the best in themselves and grow up to be participating, independent members of society.
In our Inclusive Schools series, we have looked at schools across the country, that are inclusive in every sense of the word. Some like APL Global School in Chennai were born out of a personal experience with the sense of isolation and marginalisation that parents of kids with special needs feel. St Mary's , one of New Delhi's oldest inclusive schools, became so in response to the needs of an individual parent.
Riverside in Ahmedabad reaches out to children, not only of special needs but also poorer backgrounds. Gamru Village School, in rural Himachal Pradesh goes one step further, funding even the medical needs of the disabled children of labourers.
The Heritage School in Kolkata also maintains a constant process of sensitisation among its teaching staff and students, while Vivekalaya in Coimbatore works to merge the worlds of disabled and mainstream kids in every way.
Maintaining such a policy is not easy, as it involves battling attitudes, shortage of funds and lack of adequately skilled staff. Many are doing so with little support from the government, like Nankana Sahib Public School in Ludhiana.
In continuing with this approach, schools like these are showing both plenty of heart and determination.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 20, 2019 Exit polls predict comfortable win for BJP
- Headlines May 22, 2019 PM Modi pays tribute to Rajiv Gandhi on death anniversary
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 From working for underprivileged kids to disability rights advocacy, Diksha wears many hats
- Get-hooked May 17, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Parasports May 20, 2019 Passion for sports keeps Amresh's spirits up through the worst of times
- Headlines May 23, 2019 Election 2019 - Sensex at 40K as leads show 2nd term for PM Modi
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Athlete Dutee Chand faces family expulsion for saying she is gay
- Headlines May 16, 2019 CRPF bans jawans from playing PUBG game
- Headlines May 17, 2019 Sadhvi Pragya apologizes for Godse comments
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 #BeingMom - From anxiety to empowerment, the journey of Latha Venkatesan
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News