These schools are setting the stage for an inclusive world
Through the month of November, NewzHook's special coverage has focused on children who show us the ability in disability as well as schools that are enabling them to realise the best in themselves and grow up to be participating, independent members of society.
In our Inclusive Schools series, we have looked at schools across the country, that are inclusive in every sense of the word. Some like APL Global School in Chennai were born out of a personal experience with the sense of isolation and marginalisation that parents of kids with special needs feel. St Mary's , one of New Delhi's oldest inclusive schools, became so in response to the needs of an individual parent.
Riverside in Ahmedabad reaches out to children, not only of special needs but also poorer backgrounds. Gamru Village School, in rural Himachal Pradesh goes one step further, funding even the medical needs of the disabled children of labourers.
The Heritage School in Kolkata also maintains a constant process of sensitisation among its teaching staff and students, while Vivekalaya in Coimbatore works to merge the worlds of disabled and mainstream kids in every way.
Maintaining such a policy is not easy, as it involves battling attitudes, shortage of funds and lack of adequately skilled staff. Many are doing so with little support from the government, like Nankana Sahib Public School in Ludhiana.
In continuing with this approach, schools like these are showing both plenty of heart and determination.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines January 19, 2019 Heavy fog disrupts flights, trains in Delhi
- Events January 20, 2019 Deaf Awareness India- Guests Lecture
- Employment January 22, 2019 At India Business Disability Network launch, industry leaders champion workplace inclusion
- Headlines January 18, 2019 Supreme Court allows dance bars in Maharashtra to reopen
- Events January 22, 2019 9th Hydrabad Fide Rating Chess Tournament for Visually Challenged, 2019
- Events January 18, 2019 Thematic Concert on Sufi and Bhakti
- Headlines January 20, 2019 Kerala government claims 51 women entered Sabarimala since last September
- Accessibility January 20, 2019 Get set for #Sabkeliye, India's biggest & boldest accessible shopping initiative ever
- Technology January 23, 2019 Inspiration is just a phone call away thanks to EnAble Vaani
- Get-hooked January 19, 2019 Fed up of delays in updated guidelines for disabled MBBS aspirants, activists approach minister
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked January 21, 2019
Get-hooked January 15, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News