These schools are setting the stage for an inclusive world
December 1, 2017
Through the month of November, NewzHook's special coverage has focused on children who show us the ability in disability as well as schools that are enabling them to realise the best in themselves and grow up to be participating, independent members of society.
In our Inclusive Schools series, we have looked at schools across the country, that are inclusive in every sense of the word. Some like APL Global School in Chennai were born out of a personal experience with the sense of isolation and marginalisation that parents of kids with special needs feel. St Mary's , one of New Delhi's oldest inclusive schools, became so in response to the needs of an individual parent.
Riverside in Ahmedabad reaches out to children, not only of special needs but also poorer backgrounds. Gamru Village School, in rural Himachal Pradesh goes one step further, funding even the medical needs of the disabled children of labourers.
The Heritage School in Kolkata also maintains a constant process of sensitisation among its teaching staff and students, while Vivekalaya in Coimbatore works to merge the worlds of disabled and mainstream kids in every way.
Maintaining such a policy is not easy, as it involves battling attitudes, shortage of funds and lack of adequately skilled staff. Many are doing so with little support from the government, like Nankana Sahib Public School in Ludhiana.
In continuing with this approach, schools like these are showing both plenty of heart and determination.
Watch in Sign Language
- "We all have a Javed Abidi inside us": Shameer Rishad talks about the Javed Abidi Foundation
March 20, 2019
- Madras High Court increases aid for disabled people under assistance scheme by 25%
March 20, 2019
- Child prodigy Joshua Beckford proves disability need not be a roadblock to your dreams
March 19, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility March 20, 2019 Global brand IKEA goes accessible, launches 3D printable furniture pieces
- Headlines March 17, 2019 Narendra Modi launches ‘Main Bhi Chowkidar’ campaign
- Headlines March 20, 2019 PM Modi’s biopic to release on 5 April
- Headlines March 19, 2019 Parikkar given state funeral with military honours
- Events March 20, 2019 Session by Smrithy Rajesh
- Get-hooked March 15, 2019 First PM Modi, now Mamata Banerjee shocks & offends with comments about mental disability
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 Disability rights rules amended for people with high support needs
- Headlines March 19, 2019 Rahul Gandhi PM Modi over chowkidaar campaign
- Events March 19, 2019 Annual Seminar on Inclusion & Accessibility of Deaf
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 No disability can come in the way of Swapna’s passion for art
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News