These schools are setting the stage for an inclusive world
December 1, 2017
Through the month of November, NewzHook's special coverage has focused on children who show us the ability in disability as well as schools that are enabling them to realise the best in themselves and grow up to be participating, independent members of society.
In our Inclusive Schools series, we have looked at schools across the country, that are inclusive in every sense of the word. Some like APL Global School in Chennai were born out of a personal experience with the sense of isolation and marginalisation that parents of kids with special needs feel. St Mary's , one of New Delhi's oldest inclusive schools, became so in response to the needs of an individual parent.
Riverside in Ahmedabad reaches out to children, not only of special needs but also poorer backgrounds. Gamru Village School, in rural Himachal Pradesh goes one step further, funding even the medical needs of the disabled children of labourers.
The Heritage School in Kolkata also maintains a constant process of sensitisation among its teaching staff and students, while Vivekalaya in Coimbatore works to merge the worlds of disabled and mainstream kids in every way.
Maintaining such a policy is not easy, as it involves battling attitudes, shortage of funds and lack of adequately skilled staff. Many are doing so with little support from the government, like Nankana Sahib Public School in Ludhiana.
In continuing with this approach, schools like these are showing both plenty of heart and determination.
Watch in Sign Language
- Kerala youth gets electric wheelchair from donor, but stuck indoors due to poor road conditions
August 22, 2019
- 14 year old Joel Biju has overcome a disability to finish over 1000 paintings in one year
August 21, 2019
- Ministry advisory on accessible public transport raises more questions
August 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility August 16, 2019 Independence Day honours for Infinity Park, Chennai's largest inclusive park for kids
- Education August 21, 2019 Happy Hands School is enabling deaf children in rural Odisha to learn in sign language
- Parasports August 19, 2019 Para shuttler Pramod Bhagat's Arjuna Award glory marred by lack of recognition for head coach
- Get-Hooked August 20, 2019 Inclusive Spotfix initiative to beauty Bangalore roads
- Technology August 15, 2019 'Smart Car Seat for Differently-Abled' gets a thumbs up for innovation & creativity
- Parasports August 19, 2019 Indian para athletes hold the flag high at 2019 World Para Athletics Grand Prix
- Events August 21, 2019 Vadhu Var Melawa
- Parasports August 15, 2019 Sekhar Goud is India's first triple amputee to scale Mount Elburus in Russia twice
- Events August 21, 2019 GO PLAY - A Parent Education Program
- Headlines August 16, 2019 From 29 October, women can travel for free on Delhi buses
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-Hooked August 20, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News